Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search thing but couldn't find information about what tire would be best for my 2004 Prius. My tires only have 25,000 miles but feel I will need to replace them in the near future. I would like to have a tire hold up well and be good for milage as well. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
319 Posts
GoodYear TripleTreds are great once they break in. Never match the old MPGs, but I'm close enough to not cry.

Unless I really floor it, they don't slip like the OEMs did. They stop well on wet roads. I caught a 1st-time-use GoodYear card rebate, and a store-associate mail-in rebate that dropped the final price to around $92 a tire including the lifetime road warranty, installation, balancing, and everything.

I hear Michelins are good too...

·
Registered
10 Posts
tires

We actually had our tires slashed by a vandal so replaced all of them. As we were headed for Arizona at the time (from rainy NW) we wanted a tire that could take the 115+ heat.
Got the Toyo 800 Ultra Premium Touring and found that surprise, surprise, the ride was MUCH smoother.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=6302
Nokian tire group buy is extended to end of Nov. 2005!

Just meet/exceed the specs of your OEM tires.

US/Canada 2004-2005 OEM Prius tire:
Goodyear Integrity (Standard Load)
P185/65 R15
86S
Treadwear 460
Traction A
Temperature B
44psi max. cold pressure

I would suggest that you also consider getting a wheel alignment with your new tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
tires/tires for prius

In my experience, you get what you pay for with tires. If/when I replace the tires on my new car, I will choose Pirelli. They are expensive, but worth it. On our other non-Prius Toyota, it changed the handling of the car drastically to use these tires (P6000). Good tires always make a difference, but these were outstanding.

I like the advice that one poster gave - use the tires on the car for first year, then switch. It will kill me to leave behind perfectly new tires. If one tries to trade or sell them - that is a pain and one will get nothing for them.

Ruth

·
Registered
67 Posts
Goodyear Comfortread, First Impressions

Hi all,
Just wanted to add my initial impressions of the Goodyear Comfortread for the collective wisdom stored here.
Replaced the OEM tires at 20,000 miles. They were getting pretty noisy, though they were not totally worn to the nub. They were getting slippery, however.

The new tires arrived (from Tirerack) to my local mechanic and were installed. The fronts were out of round or something, because I got a thump-thump at low speeds. They were replaced (free, and quickly) and now all is well. I had to back up the car for the mechanic, as he didn't know how to work the car. It took "three or four of them" to figure out how to move the car into place. Typical. Also, a warning: remove your plastic trim rings before taking it in for tire work. They all now have a groove/scratch on them.
:roll:

The tires: Good, not great. They are certainly quiet, but somehow I expected more (less noise I mean). Much better than the original tires. They are certainly tuned for comfort and not performance; steering seems less sharp, more "Buick-like". The Prius is not known for it's razor-sharp handling anyway, so it's no big deal. I'd rather have comfort than handling on this car (I'll leave the twisties up to my Miata, fun fun).
Milleage seems unaffected, maybe down 1mpg. It is really too early to tell, and the weather has changed here to a frigid 60 degrees, so that'll have some bearing on it.

I'll post again after a few thousand miles as my impression of the tires grows and changes.

take care & God Bless,
Ryecatcher

·
Registered
67 Posts
Comfortread Impressions

About 1000 miles into it now with the new tires. I am not that impressed. The tires are too close to the OEM integrities in grip, ride quality, noise. They're not bad, mind you, just not that good. I'll be looking at something else next time when it comes time to replace them. I have Yokohama AVS-ES-100 's on my Miata and they are superb tires. Wish those came in the right size for the Prius. . . .

·
Registered
209 Posts
I just replaced 2 of the OEM tires with Michelin Hydroedge. My biggest surprise was how fast the original tires wore out - the ones I replaced were virtually bald at 30K miles. I don't think I've ever gone through tires that fast. I kept these tires at 42/40, so it's not like they were underinflated. Seems like a lot of us are wearing out these tires really fast. What does that indicate about their suitability for this car and Toyota's choice to use them?

Since it's been hovering around 20-30 degrees here in NJ, and my mileage last year at this time was in the low 40's anyway, I can't say I'm taking much of a hit on MPG, but it's hard to tell exactly. Especially since I can only squeeze about 6 gallons into the tank. But that's another post.

Susan
04 Silver BC
31000 miles
43.3 mpg this tank

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I Show zero signs of wear on my 12,000 mile tires but was cautioned by a service manager at my 5,000 mile check when I told him to skip the tire rotation, (as per Click and Clack.) He said tire rotation was STRONGLY reccomended with the Prius and so I have complied. Several folks have mentioned no wear at 30,000 miles so I would get your alignment checked. This is an inexpensive suspension system and it is not meant to be a high performance car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Review the manual and most radial ply tire guides.

Unless it has changed, with radial ply tires, ALWAYS rotate same side, front to rear. Radial ply tires develop a 'set' and reversing the rotation (ie: left side rotates opposite when placed on the right side) may cause premature failure.

What you had on your Z28 was similar to the Yokohama A008P on my Porsche in that each pair of tires was specific to opposite corners ('A's went on the left front and right rear only and the 'B's went on the right front and left rears only. No rotation was allowed at all in this case. Incredible 'stiction' but limited tirewear, even with precision balancing and 4-wheel alignments.

·
Registered
582 Posts
tires

I do not believe that "tire reversing rotation problem" is generally present for modern radial ply tires. The 2001 Prius manual for example recommends the "rear cross to front" rotation pattern.

With replacement tires one must be aware of "asymmetric" tires which need to be mounted on the rims correctly, but then can be rotated to any position on the vehicle. Also of "unidirectional" tires which have a specified rotation direction, and therefore spend their lives either on the left or right side.

DAS

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had my OEM tires replaced today. They had only 17,300 miles on them and were worn to the tread indicators (says Toyota). They looked terrible and I asked them to check the alignment when they did the update yesterday. They said that the wheel alignment was fine. Didn't really want to make a big purchase like that right now but I was watchin the weather reports and we're getting a big storm here so I decided not to take the chance.....

Merry Christmas to my Prius!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Tire rotation

In the Arizona heat, if you cross-rotate your tires, you increase the chance of early tire failure, usually from the belts slipping. Most tire stores (and the dealer) do NOT cross-rotate radial tires here.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am at 30K miles on my 2004 OEM tires. Have them rotated every 5K miles at oil change, per service recommend. They look good, like they have a lot of life left. I check the psi about every month or two & after service/rotation.

Here is my entire tire shopping effort when I need new tires:

ME: I want the quietest, most reliable safe tire that fits this car

TRUSTED TIRE REPLACEMENT PERSON: These here

ME: I'll take 4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts