Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, like others out there I am at the end of my rope with the waiting game. I have a call in to my dealer to get an idea of when I can realistically expect the Prius to be delivered. I just don't have another reliable car to use while I continue to wait. Besides, in 7 months Toyota will be taking orders for the 2005 models!

Apparently Toyota is manufacturing the cars fast enough, however, the transmission and battery manufacturers cannot keep up with the demand. Eventually someone is going to take shortcuts which will only spell trouble for the customer.

If the delivery time frame is too long (six or more months) then I shall order another vehicle - perhaps the Civic Hybrid to remain environmentally savvy. In five years or so I can try for another Prius - or what-ever strikes my fancy at that time. Remember, as great as Prius is it is just a car. No needling me on this one. I love the Prius too. I just have to be realistic here.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Behmon said:
[snip] Remember, as great as Prius is it is just a car. No needling me on this one. I love the Prius too. I just have to be realistic here.
Now wait a minute, you go out, strip off all your clothes, paint a big orange target on your butt, antagonize the Natives, then say "don't shot any arrows at me!"

Seriously, you need to do what you need to do and worrying about what I think should not even be on your list of concerns (and I'm sure it's not). But, I would do the following:

Call your dealer as you said you plan to. Let him know your dilema and see if he can offer any suggestions. I doubt he's going to be able to give you much information though, unless you're high on the list and he's heard of a recent allotment coming in. FWIW, it seems like lots of folks got their cars this past week.

Next, get on the phone and/or internet and make some contacts with Prius dealers in a 200-250 mile radius of you, esp. in smaller markets. Some of these guys have cars on the lot or coming in and no local buyers. Almost daily someone on the Yahoo forum tells us how he just went to the lot and someone had cancelled and they got the car or how, b/c they weren't picky about color or package, they were the only one that could take the pink polkadot AX package that rolled onto the lot. There ARE cars out there to be had, they're hard to find, but they can be had.

Finally, do look at the HCH--it's a darn good car and you shouldn't feel ashamed of driving one. It is no Prius, but as you say, you get good MPG, you save the World, and you can live to drive a Prius another day. But, also look at a used Prius--there are some good deals out there and i'd say that a used Classic Prius is at least as good as a brand new HCH--other opinions will differ, but dollar for dollar I don't think you could go wrong with a used Classic--I promise you you could go to the Yahoo boards right now and probably get a loaded used '03 with <20K miles for something under $15K--that's a lot more than anyone can get on trade-in.
-evan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Order Info

I ordered my vehicle on 11/7 from Newbold Toyota in Fairview Heights, IL. Just got a call today that it's built and scheduled to go to port today. Possible delivery before Christmas. Hope this info is helpful to some.

G

·
0 Posts
It is a bit refreshing to have some come that this realization that is it just a car. As an owner of the 2001 prius who was left to sour by the company's overall treatment and attention to my maladies with the vehicle ( and apparent continued failure to step up openly to the plate with respect unspecting current owners), you company behind the vehidle is a very huge component of the cult-like following.

If your expections (that they are claiming to go beyond with the new version) is not met, or approached, and your time, money, and values are being challenged, it could make for an interesting reality check.

I would have loved to be an owner of the 2004 prius - a part of the hybrid evolution. As such, I may be willing to accept some degree if imperfection with the first model shakeout. But to feel betrayed and used ....

I think waiting, now, for the 2005 model may be the prudent thing to do. The value of your car will drop as quickly as you get the car not only for the reasons you cite, but they will me more hybrid offerings and any bugs found in this new model would hopefully be ironed out.

Look closely at the complaints that customers have had with the old version. Because of the problem plaging the cars, many spend a lot of time and money tending to these issues. Many seem to be lucky but let a rack or possible persistent alignment problem occur outside of the warranty period. GIven the amount of instances, it seems inevitable sooner rather than later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts