Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Colorado. Last night I had a set of 4 goodyear Tripletred tires installed.

Coincidentially, we had combo rain/snow/freezing weather last night in the Denver Metro Area and the roads were very hazardous. (5 roll overs and many pile-ups were reported on I 70 alone on traffic radio reports this AM!). Anyway, the Tripletreds held onto the road like glue compared to the OEM Goodyear Integras that I had replaced.

I see Michlin's Hydroedge is a popular tire in this form. If you look at the tread design on the Hydroedge and the Tripletred, they look similar except that the Tripletred tread is has a more sculpted appearance whereas the HydroEdge surface appears more regluar and smooth. I am not sure how these tire's performances compare, but my expereince today with the TripleTred was very, very reassuring.

BTW, the HydroEdge's consumer ratings on Tire Rack's web site is rated 2nd out of 30 tires in its class. The Tripletred's rate 1 of 30.

One more thing. I had to install 195/60/ 15 tires as the Triple tread does not come in the oem size of 185/65/15 tires. The Diameter is within 1% of the OEM tire (within normal tread wear differences), but it is somewhere between 1/4-1/2" wider on the pavement which should increase performance, but possible decrease MPG slightly.

Oops, one more, one more thing: I ended up paying $94 each for these tires plus about $10 install and balancing at a goodyear center. The price varied as much as $30 per tire depending upon which tire store I called. The Goodyear dealer immediate lowered his asking price to a "sale" price of $94 (down from $114) when I simply asked if there was a price break for buying a set of 4 tires.

trey. :idea:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage rating on tire

The Assurance Tripletred is rated for 80,000 miles and comes with free Roadside assistance. I think Goodyear views this tire as one of its best.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Normally I'm a Michelin chearleader. Their technology is better, their manufacturing procedures are tighter and the overall quality of their product is second to none. Too bad more manufacturers don't put Michelin's on as factory standard. Anyway, the Hydroedge is considered to be a great tire, however there have been some folks who have complained of increased road noise with them.

I like Goodyear's product, but the Integrity tire Toyota chose to put on the Prius is a joke.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought B.F. Goodrich Traction T/A's and I've been very happy with them. I looked at Tire Rack's website and they had good ratings. :D I agree about the Goodyear's that came on the car, they weren't very good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have posted this elsewhere in the past and still like the tires. If you are in the snow belt Nokian are the only 'allseason' tire to get Finland's cherished ' ice/snow' rating.
Go to http://www.nokiantyres.com for their website and dealers. I got P185/65HR15 stock#443434 @ $89.95 each+$8.50 mount & balance. The max pressure is I think 55lb enough higher than the OEM's so there is no concern re: running @ 44/42 or whatever. Wear 420 tractionA tempA max load 1235# They are reasonably quiet are spot-on for odometer areadings, do not hydroplane and are great on snow/ice/slush and are said to be low rolling resistance. I will abandon my previous practice of summer tires on the alloy rims and winter tires on steel rims and keep these on the alloys all year. If
I can be of any further help let me know. Peace, Ammiel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts