Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, background. I am still waiting in line for my new prius. As I look around the internet I tracked down the tires which come with the car. Goodyear Integrity will not cut it for me. I live in the Mountains of VA and when it snows , it typically stays around for weeks. I need a good solid all-season tire. I am looking at the Michelin HydroEdge which many people have recommended to me.

My question is do the 2004 have to use the XL load rated tires? From what I can see the Goodyear Intergity is rated SL. Does that mean I can use an SL rated tire?

Thanks

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
OEM tires on the 2004 Prius are:
Goodyear Integrity
Standard Load
P185/65 R15
86S
treadwear 460
traction A
temperature B
300 kpa (44psi) max. cold pressure

The OEM tires are the same in Canada.
In Canada they do have the M+S
(mud and snow) rating, but I haven't
double-checked my tires (I took the
above info down on a warmish Nov.
day) to see if the US OEM tires also
have the M+S rating.

·
Registered
50 Posts
xravenx said:
OK, background. I am still waiting in line for my new prius. As I look around the internet I tracked down the tires which come with the car. Goodyear Integrity will not cut it for me. I live in the Mountains of VA and when it snows , it typically stays around for weeks. I need a good solid all-season tire. I am looking at the Michelin HydroEdge which many people have recommended to me.
If it snows for weeks, why not get an extra seat of wheels with winter tires for the best safety when the snow is on the ground? Then put the regular tires (whether or not you use the Goodyear Integritys or replace them with something else) back on after the snow season is over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't snow for weeks. It will snow and the snow will remain for weeks because it doesn't really get warm enough for it to completely melt.

I would go with the winter tire approach but I have no where to leave the regular tires. I live in a college apartment.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone change their tires on the 2004 yet?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Tires

I have HydroEdges on my 2002 Prius. I believe that the specs are similar to Integrity, but treadwear rating is 780. I have about 5,000 miles on them, and they still look brand new. They are really smooth riding and are much more stable than the OEM Brigestones that come on the 2002's. I am very satisfied with the performance and value for driving in warmer climates.

However, the tread design is primarily for rain (which we see very little of here in Phoenix). I have driven them in light snow and rain, and they seemed to perform satisfactorily; but the tread design doesn't look like it would do well in heavy snow -- the tread looks like it is more for pumping water our of tread, not for gripping in mud and snow.

Perhaps someone up north has a more rounded perspective.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The TireRack rating for them is satisfactory for the hydroedge. Other than winter tires they seem to perform the best for the size. My tires now (BF Goodwrentch All-Turains) do very well but that is cause they are designed to do well in the mud and snow. They have a rating just higher that the hydroedge which is why I was looking at them.

7.7 for the hydroedge compared to 8.5 with the BF.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know know anybody with a Prius who has these but from an "old" BB saabnet.com people were raving about the Nokian WR. Nokian's web site is: http://www.nokiantires.com

Good luck with your search!

Peter
Miami, FL USA

P.S. I have used Nokian winter tires. The absolute BEST! Studded or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts