Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've seen in previous posts that people are very happy with the Nokian NRT2 and the Michelin Hydroedge.

The OEM tires are P175/65R14/XL 84S correct? What effect does the Hydroedge's having a minimum width of 185 mean? Would I need a new rim too? And what does the XL 84S mean?

The NRT2's come as 175/70R14 84 T or 175/65R14 82 T from here. So the same question arises here about what that last number means.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Matthew.A said:
Ok, I've seen in previous posts that people are very happy with the Nokian NRT2 and the Michelin Hydroedge.

The OEM tires are P175/65R14/XL 84S correct? What effect does the Hydroedge's having a minimum width of 185 mean? Would I need a new rim too? And what does the XL 84S mean?

The NRT2's come as 175/70R14 84 T or 175/65R14 82 T from here. So the same question arises here about what that last number means.

Thanks!

note, I think the replacement tires you are asking about are for the Classic Prius:

US 2001-2003 OEM Prius tire:
Bridgestone Potenza RE92 XL (Extra Load)
P175/65 R14
84S
Treadwear 160
Temperature A
Traction A
50psi max. cold pressure

US/Canada 2004 OEM Prius tire:
Goodyear Integrity (Standard Load)
P185/65 R15
86S
Treadwear 460
Traction A
Temperature B
44psi max. cold pressure

The "84" on the Bridestone Potenza RE92 XL tires is for the load rating, and the "S" is the speed rating.

When looking for replacement tires, be sure that the replacement tires has at least the 84 load rating or better for the Classic.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just popped a tire on a curb (from a dead stop no less!). I took it in after researching the tire posts and they said the 04's weight is balanced much better. Tires are a little easier to replace. I know people still don't like the OEM tires, but what are you putting on the 04s?
Thanks,
Pauline

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
pauline said:
I just popped a tire on a curb (from a dead stop no less!). I took it in after researching the tire posts and they said the 04's weight is balanced much better. Tires are a little easier to replace. I know people still don't like the OEM tires, but what are you putting on the 04s?
Thanks,
Pauline
Just remember to file for reimbursement for the road hazard loss. See your Toyota Roadside Assistance brochure for info on how to file. (comes free on all US Prius for 3 years/36,000 miles)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I am talking about the classic Prius. But at 2.5 years old, I'd hardly consider my car a classic. :p With further research, most of the recommended replacement tires have load ratings less than 84, but the fix is that increasing the PSI to 42/40 front/back will compensate. I'm going to get the 175/65R14 82 T NRT2's and do just that.

Actually, would the 185/65R14 86 T's be the better NRT2? People seem to have gotten both and I'm wondering if it makes much of a difference.

Off-topic:
I tried getting reimbursed for a flat caused by a curb and was denied. After all, hitting the curb was my fault, not an unforseen road hazard. AFAIK, the road hazard insurance only covers random nails and other things that shouldn't be there. No harm in trying though.

G

·
0 Posts
Problems in the snow with my tires?

Are the standard tires all-seasons or summer tires? We had our first snow storm of the season yesterday. I had a really hard time getting my Prius up my driveway which surprised me. There was about 3" of snow. Even after I had shovelled some of it, I still had to stop and re-shovel 3 times. The grade up the hill is fairly steep, and I really missed my RAV 4 with it's height and manual transmission for the first time since getting the Prius a few weeks back. I have seen the postings on snow tires. Which are best for the 2004 model?

Another problem - the car is getting really poor mileage since I last filled up the tank. Currently, it's up to 33 MPG - up from 27 MPG for the first 100 miles. Could this be attributed to the cold weather? :?: :?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: Problems in the snow with my tires?

Anonymous said:
Are the standard tires all-seasons or summer tires? We had our first snow storm of the season yesterday. I had a really hard time getting my Prius up my driveway which surprised me. There was about 3" of snow. Even after I had shovelled some of it, I still had to stop and re-shovel 3 times. The grade up the hill is fairly steep, and I really missed my RAV 4 with it's height and manual transmission for the first time since getting the Prius a few weeks back. I have seen the postings on snow tires. Which are best for the 2004 model?

Another problem - the car is getting really poor mileage since I last filled up the tank. Currently, it's up to 33 MPG - up from 27 MPG for the first 100 miles. Could this be attributed to the cold weather? :?: :?
Biggest problem is that you can't turn of the traction control. If a tire starts slipping, then power is cut to the wheels, so you effectively come to a halt (and cannot rock out of ice)... Try gaining some more momentum to get up the hill.

Well, cold air is more dense (harder to push through). Your area might've switched to winter-blended fuel (lowers MPG). colder air also will drop your tire pressure (1psi for each 10^F). You're probably running the heater, which uses "waste" heat from the engine, and the engine will run more often just to generate this "waste" heat...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts