Toyota Prius Forum banner

Tire Pressure Gauge Valve Caps

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  An04Prius 
#1 ·
I just ordered a set of tire-pressure-gauge valve caps for my 04.
< Sigma Automotive > They have a visual sliding green/red insert that are available in 2 degree increments... $8.95 ea. I got two 42 psi and two 40 psi caps. I saw them on a neighbors big Lincoln SUV. He says they are accurate to +/- 2 psi. They are very light and should not affect tire balance.
Has anyone used these..?

#2 ·
Highly DISrecommended. Caps like that depend on keeping the stem
of the actual valve depressed so they can read the
pressure, and such lashups ALWAYS leak. The
internal valve is much better at keeping air in
the tire than anything that tries to mate with the
outer lip of the stem's tube.
Same goes for "spare tire valve extenders" that some
people try to use to avoid having to take the spare out
of its well to pump it up -- such things will only let it
leak down faster.
_H*

#3 ·
"Highly DISrecommended. Caps like that depend on keeping the stem
of the actual valve depressed so they can read the
pressure, and such lashups ALWAYS leak"

Thanks Hobbit. That makes sense. I'll sure keep my eye on em. ~JD~

#4 ·
I have them on three cars. One wheel of one car leaked, just as posted above. Make sure the top lip of the real valve stem body is smooth, and check the seal with soapy water.

I haven't found a decent extension hose for the spare. The one I ordered leaks, which of course defeats the purpose.

#6 ·
I have used them in the past. On a couple cars and a couple of motorcycles. Don't use them anymore. Never had one leak. But if you read the packaging (at leat the ones I bought) they recommend you change them every year, because of the abuse they suffer going around and around at 80 MPH (or 110MPH on the motorcycles). Just didn't seem worth it to me. A quality tire, mounted correctly rarely leaks.

Spike

#8 ·
I'm not that concerned with accuracy. I will check them every month or so with a gauge.

What I have them for is a quick check for the slow nail-induced leak, that hasn't yet blown out. A few psi low may not show in sidewall sag, but the nail could pop out any time. So I do a walk-around every fillup and look for the red. Most of my flats have been of this type, and this lets me choose when to deal with it. Murphy will have it be on a rainy night on a muddy road, rather than a weekend in my driveway.

#10 ·
I echo the bad vibes on these. My sister gave me a set for Christmas in 2004 and within a week I had a flat due to one of them leaking. Promptly threw them away and moved on with life.

Steve

#11 ·
Just out of curiousity, how many people have had flats in the past twenty years. I don't personally know of any one and I've never used the doughnut in any of my cars since they hit the scene. (Of course, don't answer if you work at construction sites!)
We might have run this thread last year when someone brought up that the new Accords were coming out with no spare tires, just an aerosol canister and a built in electric compressor with a long hose kept in a compt on the opposite side of the car to the fuel cap.

#12 ·
hyperion said:
Just out of curiousity, how many people have had flats in the past twenty years.
I picked up a nail on my 2001, about a month before the 3yr/36k mile Toyota Roadside Assistance plan (with road hazard warranty) expired. My husband also somehow picked up a drywall screw in one of his 2004's tires - the Toyota dealer wouldn't touch it but a local tire store chain does free flat repairs as a goodwill thing to try and get new customers. At least on my 2001 I was able to drive to a service station, add air to the tire, and drive the block to the dealer for a repair. My husband called AAA to get the spare put on his 2004.

(I've heard of one Prius owner that has had 9 replacement tires due to flats and/or blowouts... Thank goodness for the Toyota Roadside Assistance! (too bad it was discontinued for the 2006))

#14 ·
When I was a kid, cars would get flats all the time. I almost never see them anymore... and if I do... it is a slow leak that I can drive to the tire center.

My wife picked up a nail on her BMW Z4, but her car uses run-flats... and I am not sure how long she drove them before she notified me that "some light" was on. :( Luckily... you can drive them for 500 miles at highway speeds when totally flat.

/Jim

#15 ·
I put them on my Prius about a month ago. The caps are rated @ 42/40 psi (F/R). I bled the tires down to 35/33 psi. I checked the OEM stems for leaks with grandson's bubble soap. After screwing the caps on I noted the amount of RED that was showing..(about half) I put in 42/40 psi and after putting the caps on gave em a good soapy inspection for leaks. I found none but, since I've been warned, for the first 2 weeks I did a soap and hand guage check a few days apart. With the caps on I take a quick look for RED in the garage every day and drive "feeling better". I'm satisfied they aren't leaking NOW. I have duly noted that others have had some leaks. In the meantime I can do a quick eyeball check for color and know that tire pressure is (or is not) in the safe (economical) range. I'm not pushing these things... just passing along my experience since most Prius drivers are fussy about tire pressure.
As far as flats are concerned, I've had a few in a long life including several Blow Outs from striking some sharp object on a dark road. That'll get your attention. But it's the slow leak from an unseen source that I hope to detect early with the pressure caps. ~JD~

#17 ·
coloradospringsprius said:
hyperion said:
Just out of curiousity, how many people have had flats in the past twenty years.
I am deliberately not answering because I don't want to jinx anything :!:
I'm sure glad you made it clear that your answer was to not answer, otherwise I might have thought you answered. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.