Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like tire pressure is very important for these cars. Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate pressure gage?

·
Registered
370 Posts
MtnTraveler said:
It sounds like tire pressure is very important for these cars. Does anyone have a recommendation for an accurate pressure gage?
Due to my obsession with tire pressure, I went out and bought one of these:

Craftsman 12 volt Air Compressor/Inflator, Rechargeable/Cordless
Sears item #02875116000 Mfr. model #75116

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=02875116000

I hope that link works - it looks like a plate of spaghetti. Anyhow, it's a rechargeable/cordless inflator. It doesn't need to be plugged into your 12V outlet. It has what has proven to be an accurate gauge. It also has it's own 12V outlet. I love it (now it's even on sale. grrr.)

Our problem around here is that it's very difficult to find a gas station with a working compressor.

·
Registered
319 Posts
See if you can test the unit before buying, whatever you get.

I spent $16 on a Sears digital gauge that looked good in the store but can't be read well in strong daylight due to underpowered LEDs.

Someday I'll have to drop it a few times to develop a need to get a better one...

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Google "Racer Parts Wholesale"

I bought an analog gauge, ~3" dial rubber-covered-body with a ~6" HD hose and heavy cast end which mates to the valve stem very well. Also has a "bleed valve" to adjust to exact pressure desired. This gauge, combined with my 12v mini-compressor, enables me to monitor and adjust accurately to my 40/38 psi preference. Be sure to get the 0-60 psi range (spare requires 60 psi). As I recall, the gauge was about $25 plus shipping.

I found the "digitals" and old-style "pencil" gauges to be inaccurate and/or hard to read. The analog gauge is easy to read and interpolate to ½ psi.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm intrested in the recommendations, but I wouldn't agree that tire pressure is any more or less important for the Prius than any other car. In ANY car you can improve mileage by over-inflating the tires (within spec) and sacrificing comfort and handling to some extent. It gets more air time than average here because more Prius drivers are obsessed with gas mileage! And the car provides constant feedback to support the obsession!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Astrowoman said:
It gets more air time than average here because more Prius drivers are obsessed with gas mileage! And the car provides constant feedback to support the obsession!
Imagine if non-hybrids also had a Multi-Display.

People would be horrified to find out just how much their vehicle actually guzzles gas. Automakers took advantage of that, allowing consumers to believe their vehicle always delivered the EPA values under all driving conditions.

Imagine if Prius didn't have a Multi-Display.

People get the impression that tire pressure is very important for Prius. That is actually new misconception. In reality, all vehicles are affected negatively when the PSI gets too low... only they don't have a screen informing them that efficiency has been compromised.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
True... the difference between 45 and 48 mpg is 3 mpg, which is "noticable". But the 7% gain, applied to a 15 mpg car would only be 1 more mpg, "barely noticable".

That's the problem with comparing subtraction and division, eh?

·
Registered
319 Posts
If a 7% gain takes me 20 more miles over a tankload, I wouldn't care if it brought me up to 48MPG or 16MPG...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts