Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with Goodyear tires? We have an 04 Prius with 9000 miles on it. Driving to L.A. on I-5 at 70 mph the tread on the rear left tire separated. Didn’t hit anything that we know of. Got a new one in valencia, CA. Our dealer in Portland is checking with Goodyear for replacement, but my concern is whether the other 3 may have also been mis-manufactured.
Ken

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
as for manufacturing, you'd have to check the DOT code (in an oval, usually). last 4 or 6 digits lists the year and week of manufacture, so you can somewhat compare them.

Just don't forget that the Prius in the US comes with 3 years/36,000 miles of Toyota Roadside Assistance, which includes a Tire and Wheel Road Hazard warranty, so even if the manufacturing of the tire isn't the problem, it should still be covered by the road hazard warranty. but, you have a time limit (30 days) to file.

I quoted my 2004 brochure here, although I hear that there is a typo in the phone number:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... sage/31089

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try Michellins

The tires that come standard on the Prius are awful. They break all the time. I use Michellin Weatherwise tires inflated to 10 psi above the recommended value. Get yourself a pump to plug in to your lighter socket, because the Toyota service technicians will refuse to overinflate your tires (they think you can "only" use the standard tires on your Prius, but they are wrong). I've also heard good things about Goodyear, but folks are using a Goodyear of a slightly different size, which will throw off your odometer reading by about 1%. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Yeah, you have to be specific about what type of Prius you have, and your country of origin, because the OEM tires are different for different model years, and for different countries...

US 2001-2003 OEM Prius tire:
Bridgestone Potenza RE92 XL (Extra Load)
P175/65 R14
84S
Treadwear 160
Temperature A
Traction A
50psi max. cold pressure

US/Canada 2004-2005 OEM Prius tire:
Goodyear Integrity (Standard Load)
P185/65 R15
86S
Treadwear 460
Traction A