Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I have a 2004 Prius with the Goodyear Integrity tires on the factory wheel and would like to know if anyone's tried 'plus' sizing for custom wheels.
The Integrities lose traction upon a right turn acceleration and my VSC kicks in, momentarily stalling the car.

Since Costco carries the Michelin Hydroedge I am particularly interested if anyone matched perhaps a 16x7 wheel with Michelin or other easily obtainable tires.

If I do stay with the factory wheel/tire size, what tires would you recommend for the Southern California area.

Thank you.

mike

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Consumer's Reports did a study on +1 and +2 wheel oversizing. There were some pros, but quite a few cons. Their recommendation is if you insist on doing it, go no further than +1.

I think low profile tires look cool, but the cons have me go against it. I am glad I wasn't forced into the Pirelli setup often packaged 'round here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My european Prius came with Michelin Pilot Primacy 195/65 R16. Does anyone uses this tyre size? The recommended pressure in John's page applies for these tyres as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spacejazz, your Prius uses 195/55 R16 on 16x6" wheels.

As they are a bit wider, you should lower the pressure 0.1-0.2 bar from those indications. I think it won't be a good idea to exceed 2.6/2.4 or 2.7/2.5....

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
spacejazz said:
My european Prius came with Michelin Pilot Primacy 195/65 R16. Does anyone uses this tyre size? The recommended pressure in John's page applies for these tyres as well?
check the sidewall of the tires for the max. cold inflation pressure. Do not exceed the rating that is on the sidewall of the tires.

(The 2004+ OEM Goodyear Integrity tires in the US have a max. cold inflation pressure of 44psi...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts