Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that there are spots on the accelerater that seem to trigger the electric only mode.For instance if you let up on the gas completly the arrows point to regenerate the battery.But if you push on the accelerater ever so slightly you can make the lights go out and be in coast mode.I've noticed if you leave it in coast mode for a few seconds and ever so lightly press on the accelerater the electric only will activate.This helps allot in getting the car in the mid 50 MPG's from the mid forty's at speeds under 50 mph.I've noticed by ignoring this at speeds of 45 mph(On my commute anyway) will yield 45-50 mpg at best.I've also noticed somewhat of a free lunch on the trip home.I try to use as much battery power as possible.(BTW the computer wont let you damage the battery so dont worry about that)Because the next day the car is cold and will run steady thus charging the battery anyway!

Also turning off the climate control on fairly cool day's but I havent takin much of a hit running A/C really.It's the speed,the car likes 45 mph.

Though a steady trip with four of us in the car on the interstate going 65 mph.yielded 60mpg with the A/c on.

Oh and theres the tire pressure front 38 rear 36.

Has anyone else out there found anything of interest to add?It's fun to experiment.

Regards,Ed

·
Registered
581 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I still don't understand how anyone can get 60 at 60.

Well, Ed lives in Maine where, unlike Florida, ther are hills that one can coast almost everywhere :lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Naaw, you use the great circle route and a boost from either the Gulf Stream or any residual hurricane push :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Coming back from Lake Tahoe to the SF Bay Area my wife and were getting around 56mpg for a round trip. In the mountains we were getting above 75mpg, mostly because of the downhill and the shorter uphill grades.

·
Registered
919 Posts
There are periods of driving when I show 60mpg or even 75mpg. But I have never maintained that for an entire tank--not even close. I can't imagine normal driving under normal conditions which would yield such amazing results. Maybe in my dreams.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm lifetime 47.5mpg over 5800 miles now.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am with jr.neely, on a trip from Tahoe to the SF Bay area I got 73.8 MPGs. Trip was actually from the far side of lake Tahoe, a town called Minden, NV to Mountain House CA. So I started by going uphill. I also started with a dead battery (had had the car less than a week, left it "started" while we loaded up and said our goodbyes, didn't realize I was draining the battery, battery gauge pips were pink/purple/magenta). So engine never shut off for the first part of the trip, uphill, but lots of stop signs and such. At one point coming down from Tahoe, my mileage screen showed a full screen of full bars, meaning my engine hadn't been on in at least a half hour. And I don't drive slow; usually 5-15 above the speed limit. This is with two adults (one a little over weight ;-)), one 65lb dopey dog, luggage for us, and gear for the dog.
Just for ha ha's, I actually filled up with gas in Tracy, after having filled up in Minden, it took less than 3 gallons. Admitedly that isn't scientific, as there can be slight differences in "full" but still, impressive. Much better than the time I took my brother's Land Rover Defender 90, and had to stop twice for gas (although partly to return it with a full tank).

There is no way around it, the Prius, for all the bashing it gets about its mileage, is still very very impressive.

Spike

·
Registered
420 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I still don't understand how anyone can get 60 at 60.
Honest, that's about what I get in good weather. (To be fully accurate, I'd say I get 60 mpg at 55 to 60 mph. Since I don't use cruise control, I can't provide a more accurate number).

If it's any consolation, your in-town mileage seems to be considerably better than mine. My mpg nearly always goes up when I hit the highway, and down when I tool around the city.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I get the opposite. My highway (at or above constant 55) is lower than city (average 40-45, peak at 55). At 60MPH I'd probably get low 50's.

So far this week, since filling up on Tuesday night, I have maintained 60+MPG for 245 miles. That's very unusual for me, but it can be attributed to cooler temps in the morning (mid-upper 70's) and cloud cover during the afternoon yielding less solar radiation.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been conducting some "tests" of my own. First off, I've found that my freeway driving give better MPG than city. This is because most of my city driving is short trips less than 5 or 10 minutes.

When I first got the car, I used CC and set it at 67 MPH. This yielded about 47-48 MPG.

Then, I heard someone mention you could draft some of the big rigs on the road, so I tried this and found my average to up to 50-52 MPG. But, drafting can be dangerouse if you are not paying attention.

So, now I've spent my first week with CC set to 58 on the freeway. Today, on the way to work my fill light started to blink. I had achieved 51 MPG for the tank. And, this includes a very bad weekend of a lot of short trips in the city. Friday when I got home, my MPG were 54. At the end of the weekend, I was down to 46. I spent this hole week slowly brining it back to 51. If it hadn't been for the bad weekend, I would likely have finished the tank at 52 of 53.

One final thing to note, when I was drafing big rigs, I noticed that the fuel tankers were the best. If our speeds stayed consistant, I could get 75-80 MPG according to the bar graph on the consumption screen. Once I did that for over 15 minutes.

I'm now ready to take the next step; adding additional batteries in the car that get charged at night ... a plug in Prius. Some people who do this are getting around 100MPG. This only works well if you have the EV switch and you do a lot of driving under 34 MPH.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
CaPriusLover said:
Then, I heard someone mention you could draft some of the big rigs on the road, so I tried this and found my average to up to 50-52 MPG. But, drafting can be dangerouse if you are not paying attention.
CaPriusLover (or anyone),
How does one draft big rigs? I've heard of this but never tried it. I strictly adhere to keeping one car length behind the vehicle in front of me for each 10 MPG I'm going. Can you draft when 6 car lengths behind at 60?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tips and Tricks not quite 60MPG

I have had my new Prius for two weeks. First tank yielded 54.5 MPG. Second tank 57.8 MPG. I used the CC sparingly as Maine has had a warm stretch of weather. I commute 90 miles/day back and forth. 25 miles of the trip is within the 25MPH speed zone, the rest is highway and turnpike from 45-65 MPH.

I too have done what Ed does in letting up of the accelerator and then slightly pressing it as I watch the lines on the screen turn purple (kind of a hypnotic state). I then coast as long as I can without ticking off all the manics on Rt. 111. But I keep my foot slightly pressed on the accelerator. On the turnpike I try to do between 55-60 MPH and do the same pedal work. It's tiring after a while, but now it has become a game with me (and helps relieve the boredom of my one hour drive). I have even challenged my wife to keep the MPG average above 58MPG. (She's working on it)

I am not sure what else I can do to improve the MPG except for going a bit slower. 60MPG seems doable but only under certain conditions.

Not bad for the first two tanks of gas. I'm loving it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey ****....

Congrats on your new Prius!!! What color?Which package? (I got the base) I see your playing the "mileage game" Now you'll have to check the 12 step recovery post :lol: Is'nt it fun though?
Enoy your car!

Ed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ed,

I know there are lots of "mileage" post here, and there are references to the "Pulse and Glide" technique which is what we are likely trying to do with our driving from what I can tell.

Where is this 12 step recovery post that you mention? Knowing this crew, I'll be looking forward to laughing at the wit and humor.

I've got a 2005 Tideland Pearl Package #4 through Prime in Saco. If it keeps raining we'll need to bring back the amphi car...a Prius version of course.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ummmm......I love wild salmon......I also love salmon pie....Jerry's Diner has the best. :D

I guess the first step is to admit I'm an MPG Junkie. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
CaPriusLover, do not "draft" behind 18-wheelers. I've posted this response in Priuschat to those who are tempted to draft. It's dangerous to you and to your precious Prius. Those rigs weigh around 40 tons fully loaded. A blown retread, gravel, or metal objects on the road can be deadly when catapulted by those wheels. I'm a truck driver. A few weeks ago I watched in horror as a short piece of rebar shot from under my truck and took a chunk out of the concrete divider on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Believe me when I tell you that I thanked God that there was no one behind me! Steer clear of "big rigs"!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I have managed to stay above 60MPG, and for the most part, 61MPG.
Most of my driving is on US 19, for about 48 miles. Average speed 45, peaking at 55. My mileage dropped a bit yesterday, as I had a few short trips in hot weather but since my tank miles were already in the 400's, that didn't drop my tank MPG as much. Took quite a while though to 'recover'. Currently at 60.9 now.
Drove on the highway to Tampa, stayed at 55 on the right lane even though the speed limit was 70.
Oil at 3.5 quarts (about 1/8" under full), tire pressure 40/38. I use the CC often.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts