Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any problems with aftermarket tinting of the windows? I notice in owners manual my glass is suppose to repel the solar heat??? However, seems d*m hot after sitting in the sun awhile!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2005 UK Prius (a proper one! :lol:) and I have had the back windows tinted for the kids and its fine. They did a fantastic job. You wouldn't even know that it wasn't always like that!

S

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Bigphoto said:
Any problems with aftermarket tinting of the windows? I notice in owners manual my glass is suppose to repel the solar heat??? However, seems d*m hot after sitting in the sun awhile!
Do a search in this forum for "tinting". You will find many threads on the subject.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I suggest you find a qualified pro who installs LLumar. So many cheaper ones will fade, turn purple, and bubble after just a few months.

Mine has been on for over a year, and I've never had a bubble or any problems.

It's more expensive, but well, well, worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since you have navigation I would recommend Huper-Optik Ceramic film. Metalic film will not pass the GPS signal where the ceramic will. Since you're not going to tint the front windshield maybe it wouldn't make a difference but why take a chance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I can tell you that metalic film does affect the GPS signal. In fact it totally cuts it out completely! I had my front windshield tinted. Before choosing which brand to use we first tried V-Cool which was metalic. We had the navigation in diagnostic mode with the car outside. The V-Cool was kept in the box but draped over the front windshield. It totally cut the signal to nothing. We then tried the Huper-Optik ceramic film and draped it over. There was no discernable signal loss.

Again, most people are not going to tint their front windshield, so having your other windows tinted with metalic film may not make a difference.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
GreyMud said:
I stand corrected.

*makes notes*
Why so formal? You can sit corrected - we're all friends here. ;)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
silly said:
Well I can tell you that metalic film does affect the GPS signal. In fact it totally cuts it out completely! I had my front windshield tinted. Before choosing which brand to use we first tried V-Cool which was metalic. We had the navigation in diagnostic mode with the car outside. The V-Cool was kept in the box but draped over the front windshield. It totally cut the signal to nothing. We then tried the Huper-Optik ceramic film and draped it over. There was no discernable signal loss.

Again, most people are not going to tint their front windshield, so having your other windows tinted with metalic film may not make a difference.
The GPS receiver is in the dashboard "looking up" at the satellites from there. If you don't tint your front windows and only tint the side and rear windows, I can vouch that metallic or not, the GPS is unaffected by any tint.

Front windshield tinting is illegal in many states anyhow, so be sure you check up on this before you decide to proceed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts