Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My prius 2005 is making a tingling sound like a trembling thin metal wire when gently braking or accelerating at 5 to 10 mph. Does anybody know what's the problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I too notice some sound when I slow down to stop signs as such. Not sure it's "tingling", but sort of airplane descending in higher and softer pitch (?) ...
Maybe these are not related but I'm curious...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
micemommy said:
I too notice some sound when I slow down to stop signs as such. Not sure it's "tingling", but sort of airplane descending in higher and softer pitch (?) ...
Maybe these are not related but I'm curious...
mice, you are hearing the regenrative braking working. That would not be there when you are accelerating though, so the tingling must be something else.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can certainly hear the whine of the electric drive when accelerating. It's not as pronounced as the generating noise when decelerating though, and I normally only notice it when the car has just been turned on (so it's using the electric motor more while the engine warms up), or when it's in EV mode.

Still, I don't think that's what the original poster's describing.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I too sometimes hear the singing of the inverter power transistors when accelerating and braking. The more current flow, the more pronounced the sound.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I never noticed these noises before, but I'm rarely in real stop and go traffic. I drove SO to LAX yesterday and it took 40 minutes to get there and 2 hours to get home... I did notice these noises in some stretches where hte speed never got much about 7 mph. Almost exclusively when braking (regen?) but once on an acceleration.

Ah well, the trip did improve the mpg for the tank a bit... it was all short trips before...

·
Registered
32 Posts
So that was what it was! I guess having no hub cap makes it easier to hear that regen braking.

Astro, I feel for you. My friend used to say "Friends don't let friends drive to LAX"... But I know I still do. :wink:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"I guess having no hub cap makes it easier to hear that regen braking."

The regen hardware is inside the drivetrain, not at the wheels.

·
Registered
669 Posts
micemommy said:
Astro, I feel for you. My friend used to say "Friends don't let friends drive to LAX"... But I know I still do. :wink:
My SO owes me ONE nice dinner is all I can say!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The regen hardware is inside the drivetrain, not at the wheels.
Amazing things you learn each day!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I too sometimes hear the singing of the inverter power transistors when accelerating and braking. The more current flow, the more pronounced the sound.
more likely you are hearing the inverter coolant being pumped around. That's what the electric "whine" is in the Classics.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No, that's like a high pitched humm. Definitely can hear singing, as you often hear with switching power supplies. Changes amplitude with load.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts