Toyota Prius Forum banner

Time Frame for Repairs due to Collision?

7K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  bullet875 
How bad was the damage? Did they say what parts they needed? If it is a hybrid specific component that is in short supply, I could at least partially understand. If it is just ordinary body and "car" stuff, this seems unreasonable and I would question the repair shop. If they tell you what part you need, you could check with your Toyota dealer's parts department to verify their story.

Sorry Hyperion, I don't believe that not made in the USA has any bearing on this. They can overnight parts from anywhere in the world. Even if they don't overnight it, you should be able to get anything in about a week or so, not months. Even so, there is nothing from stopping them from keeping a warehouse in the US to improve parts distribution. If anything, it is just a company's decision to not make parts more available in this global economy.

hyperion said:
Overnighting parts from outside the U.S. looks to be a lost art.
My daughter is waiting the ten days for the part she needs from the largest Volvo dealer in the SF Bay area.
When a dealer has absolutely no idea when the car he has ordered is going to show up until it is unloaded at the docks I don't expect too much from the parts supply. The problem the body shop is probably having if it is not an "in house" Toyota dealer, is attempting on getting information at all from the parts dept.
The ordering process for vehicles is vastly different from the ordering process for parts. Vehicles are different from each other and are allocated via some algorithm, etc. Parts have a number and you can get them from anywhere that stocks them. Any unavailability of a part that isn't due to manufacturing limitations is something that is completely fixable. If they choose not to do that, it has adverse customer satisfaction costs that they need to weigh against keeping extra inventory available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.