Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Prius that was rear ended two months ago. It has been in the repair shop since then. The repair shop keeps telling me that they are delayed getting parts. They said the last one they fixed was a front end repair and took 4 months.

For any of you who have had the unfortunate experience of having your Prius in an accident, what has been the time frame for repairs?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I guess if we want to buy cars not made in the U.S. we have to live with a parts delay when needed for repairs. Have seen many examples of this posted here and I have a daughter waiting two weeks for a turn signal stalk to be sent from Sweden for her Volvo. (The broken steering stalk keeps the ignition inop)
This may get better for Toyota and Honda as they build more cars here in the States.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
How bad was the damage? Did they say what parts they needed? If it is a hybrid specific component that is in short supply, I could at least partially understand. If it is just ordinary body and "car" stuff, this seems unreasonable and I would question the repair shop. If they tell you what part you need, you could check with your Toyota dealer's parts department to verify their story.

Sorry Hyperion, I don't believe that not made in the USA has any bearing on this. They can overnight parts from anywhere in the world. Even if they don't overnight it, you should be able to get anything in about a week or so, not months. Even so, there is nothing from stopping them from keeping a warehouse in the US to improve parts distribution. If anything, it is just a company's decision to not make parts more available in this global economy.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Overnighting parts from outside the U.S. looks to be a lost art.
My daughter is waiting the ten days for the part she needs from the largest Volvo dealer in the SF Bay area.
When a dealer has absolutely no idea when the car he has ordered is going to show up until it is unloaded at the docks I don't expect too much from the parts supply. The problem the body shop is probably having if it is not an "in house" Toyota dealer, is attempting on getting information at all from the parts dept.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get the list of parts from the body shop and call Toyota; one of them is screwing up. Once you know which it is, raise hell. If it's the body shop, Indiana may have a department of Consumer Affairs or some such with regulatory powers. You can also raise hell with the Insurance company if they picked the body shop.

I dented my front bumper cover, and the body shop had the part in 3 days. I'm sure your needs are more extensive, but Toyota has been better than average about keeping parts in stock.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
I guess if we want to buy cars not made in the U.S. we have to live with a parts delay when needed for repairs. Have seen many examples of this posted here and I have a daughter waiting two weeks for a turn signal stalk to be sent from Sweden for her Volvo. (The broken steering stalk keeps the ignition inop)
This may get better for Toyota and Honda as they build more cars here in the States.
Yeah, I had the same long annoying parts delay waiting problem with my pre-Prius vehicle, which is what got me to say never again for a Ford product. (Actually it was a Canadian-made Mercury Mystique, but...)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hyperion said:
Overnighting parts from outside the U.S. looks to be a lost art.
My daughter is waiting the ten days for the part she needs from the largest Volvo dealer in the SF Bay area.
When a dealer has absolutely no idea when the car he has ordered is going to show up until it is unloaded at the docks I don't expect too much from the parts supply. The problem the body shop is probably having if it is not an "in house" Toyota dealer, is attempting on getting information at all from the parts dept.
The ordering process for vehicles is vastly different from the ordering process for parts. Vehicles are different from each other and are allocated via some algorithm, etc. Parts have a number and you can get them from anywhere that stocks them. Any unavailability of a part that isn't due to manufacturing limitations is something that is completely fixable. If they choose not to do that, it has adverse customer satisfaction costs that they need to weigh against keeping extra inventory available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was rear ended last December and the biggest delay was her insurance company. The insurance adjuster was there on a Friday, body shop at dealer started work on Monday and I was driving the car on Thursday. There was no damage to the hatch or lights--just bumper and stuff under it and side. I am located just outside of Baltimore, MD and they seem to be able to get parts next day.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
hyperion said:
Hyperion,

Bulls, the Elapsed time,part procurement for Toyota vehicles are: Much faster than the domestics or the Europeans !

AutoNation, has over 300 Dealers, ( A public company ) across the U.S. continent. The parts managers says, the Toyota arsenal of parts depot across the US is the best. Most parts gets here in 24~72 hours.. So parts delay, does not_apply_ to Toyotas. Period.. Also says, Europeans are the worst in supplying parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2005 had front end damage this year. The shop replaced the hood, bumper, both headlights, and coolant pump with OE parts and it was in the shop approximately two weeks. The shop works with our local Toyota dealer but is not owned by same.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Stairman said:
Get the list of parts from the body shop and call Toyota; one of them is screwing up. Once you know which it is, raise hell. If it's the body shop, Indiana may have a department of Consumer Affairs or some such with regulatory powers. You can also raise hell with the Insurance company if they picked the body shop.

I dented my front bumper cover, and the body shop had the part in 3 days. I'm sure your needs are more extensive, but Toyota has been better than average about keeping parts in stock.
Stairman has good advice. I hit a curb and bent a bunch of rods/linkage (no body damage). Initially, the dealer couldn't get the parts. It finally came down to one rod that was unavailable. The dealers exact words were "we can't find the part and we have no idea when it'll be available".

I got the part number from them and called Toyota corporate. Amazingly, the part showed up two days later. I've also had this same type of problem with Infiniti and one call to corporate did the trick.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
About 20 years ago when I worked on office equipment and consumer electronics, sometimes parts would be slow to get. Clients would yell at us, and we in turn suggested yelling at the manufacturer, as often the client doing the yelling did much more than us doing the yelling at the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Response to Repair Suggestions

Thanks for your input. I did pin the repair shop down to specifics. In ordering parts it seems that when the repair shop ordered certain "assemblies", the shipment did not contain all the parts that the repair shop assumed were going to be shipped with the order. Repair shop's fault. Thus they had to wait on additional parts to be shipped until they could proceed.

All the parts are in the shop now. Hoping to get it back by next week.

Seems having to take the car to the Toyota dealership to have the hybrid battery removed and replaced adds additional time to the repair process.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I can understand the error. Often parts descriptions in manuals aren't clear as to what is and is not included in assemblies. I got that all the time when I repaired consumer and office equipment.
Of course one could call the supplier and ask. But depending who the supplier is, like a dealer parts department for example, they don't know for sure either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My old 2003..

was in the shop for 3 months after being hit. The are no aftermarket parts for the Prius so everything needs to come from Toyota. That what causes the delay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.