Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a mishap involving my garage door, I've found myself with a couple of small nicks on the rear hatch.

Does anyone have any experience with the Tideland color touch-up paint? Does it match the stock color well? Does it look OK?

Thanks,

DGStan

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It matches fairly well but you gotta apply it properly.

on some of them, I can see the line of paint that I added on, on others that I've applied, the scratch is all but gone. The clearcoat part of the pen helps hide the paint and make it glossy.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Luckily a scratch is all you did. I had to replace the spoiler, and it isn't aligned correctly. The body shop was concerned that adjusting/reshaping the hatch to align the spoiler would cause undue stress on the glass which could cause premature breakage.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DanMan32 said:
Luckily a scratch is all you did. I had to replace the spoiler, and it isn't aligned correctly. The body shop was concerned that adjusting/reshaping the hatch to align the spoiler would cause undue stress on the glass which could cause premature breakage.
Did the spoiler come pre-painted?

I am thinking of changing mine and I'd do it myself if it comes in matching colors. After this incident, it seems looser (it always seemed loose), so I don't know it something's broken.

Is it attached is a manner that might enable "tightening" the mounting bolts or does it simply clip on like everything else?

Finally, do you remember what the new spoiler cost you, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks,

DGStan

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It wasn't pre-painted. It cost me $415 or something close to that for the spoiler, painting, gaskets and mount. I think the spoiler itself was $350. The mounting was negligible, as it is normally easy to install assuming the hatch isn't bent out of shape. I already had the spoiler off for them, and said, "here, I need this fixed". I was hoping the spoiler could have been fixed, since it is ABS plastic. No dice.

There are 4 bolts that hold in in, plus a few clips. Mine was loose too, seemed that way even before I snagged it with my garage door, and certainly was after. The body shop aligned it better now by carefully banging in the mount holes, but still not aligned right. The neoprene gasket should be sandwitched between the lower glass and the underside of the spoiler, but it isn't touching the glass. The bodyshop was concerned that if they tried going further, they may stress the glass too much. Seeing how they 'punched in' the mountpoints, I might try a few things myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same encounter with the garage door today (while taking off the tire to get a nail hole repaired - just to make things that more annoying). Anyway, three questions:

The scratch is really almost a gouge- Will touchup paint still work?

Any recommendation on where to get touchup paint besides the dealer?

Finally, how loose/tight is the spoiler supposed to be? Mine certainly moves up and down (not sure about before), though I would term it as firm.[/list]

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, the spoiler is just plastic, so the damage is simply cosmetic. If the gouge is deep enough, touchup paint will only paint the gouge. You'll probably still see where it got gouged.

You can try body shops, and automotive shops. The paint color I don't believe is specific to the Prius, though it may be specific to Toyota.

It is possible you bent the mounts so that the end clips don't hold down the spoiler properly any more, but I never found the spoiler to be really solid, until the bodyshop put double sided sticky foam tape at the ends.

·
Registered
84 Posts
New touchup auto paint techique...

When I picked up my new Prius, the dealer gave me a touchup pen that appears to be a lot better than the old little jars with the little brush attached to the top. I could never get a smooth touchup covering with these kits.

The touchup pen I received is more like a felt highlighting pen. The paint goes on very smooth without applying too much. It appears that you can order one of these pens for just about any car (it's NOT a Toyota product.) The website to order is...

http://www.autovisuals.com/benefits.asp

I don't know what these pens cost since I was given mine as a gift for purchasing the Prius. If they work as well as they seem to, I'll proabably order some for our other "rides."

Attachments

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
And they also have Stoner's invisible glass, and the clearcoat pen.
Hmm, my parents want to know what to get me for my birthday. A gift certificate for these might be nice.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Cdn$10 (ok, 9.95) at Canadian dealerships

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Depends on how much your time is worth and how well the product works. There are touch up pens and there are touch up pens. I haven't found any as yet that really work well.
If it performs as advertised, it is "worth the cost." It would be interesting to know if we were speaking of the same product or just another touch up paint that all seem to retail for about $5.99

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
well this $10 is a Toyota touch-up pen with colour on one side and clearcoat on the other side.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Toyota touch up paint, $7.99 for .5 oz, 2 for $12.98, plus $4.95 shipping (free shipping only if the order is over $50), no sales tax:
http://www.brandsport.com/totouppa.html

(I had purchased my bottle a few years ago from metropn.com, and IIRC it was only around $6.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had really good success with the factoryToyota touch up brush. My dealer actually gave it to me free (you'll need the trim 3 character code from the black sticker inside the drivers door after the word C/TR). I asked for advice on putting it on and here's what worked:

Clean the area well. Shake the canister well and remove almost as much paint as you can from the brush by brushing it on the top of the bottle. Then apply in even stokes. I was able to cover a quarter sized area that had flaked off my bumper. The first coat barely has any color to it. In 1 to 2 minutes the paint will become tacky (if you haven't over applied). Apply another coat in exactly the same fashion. Repeat until the color matches. It took me four coats.

Amazingly, there is almost no visible difference with the fix. The multiple thin coats keeps the paint from "blobbing". This was on a horizontal surface, I suspect getting the same quality is more difficult on the vertical, but the thin coats seem to be the key.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts