Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery today.

First impressions... freakishly quiet at stoplights. Excellent sound system, voice control fun.

One prob though... the dealership did not install the rear spoilers correctly and the two end pieces don't line up with the middle piece. I can actually hear the glue sticking and unsticking when I push on them. Pointed it out to the salesman and they agreed to fix it when I bring it in for service--minor but OBVIOUS shoddy work. But they did rush to get me out by 730 this pm.

Thanks again for all your help during the wait (Feb-Sept)

·
Registered
28 Posts
What? In your driveway? Not your garage?

Congratulations! It's been 3 weeks for me and I'm still discovering new things - Have fun! Hope you get the spoiler fixed soon - I didn't know it was dealer installed?

I find when I try to impress my friends with the voice commands - it always says something totally dif. then what I said - She kind of cracks me up - but she never gets mad when I don't follow her directions...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Shepan said:
What? In your driveway? Not your garage?
Some of us don't have garages. We're going to get a portable carport tarp thingy before Winter hits, though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Three days and no weird lights.... I am amazed at the pep this car has even on hills compared to the Honda CRV I had previously. I waxed the car with NUFINISH as per John's recommendation and birdgifts come off very easily.

The AC is awesome... I get in a furnace of a car, send all the windows down, the auto AC comes on and ramps up, and the car is cool in three minutes. Put the windows up and I'm happy.

The NAV system is great... no issues with voice control yet... gets it right every time except for "chinese food." Guess years of teaching/yelling have made me annunciate well.

Actually like the backup beep... since I have not yet got instinctive about the transaxle shift yet.

The car is freakishly quiet at stop signs, especially with the windows down and AC off--all I can hear is the tires crunching sand and gravel- reminds me of a golfcart.

Lookign for ward to taking some trips and playing with my driving habits via the consumption fedback.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Saruman, if you're talking about the pieces under the bumper, mine do the same thing. I plan on brining it up when I go in for my first service.

·
Registered
623 Posts
reminds me of a golfcart
A friend told me my car (in electric mode) was as quiet as a golf cart. I now refer to that as "golf cart mode" since I think the word "stealth" sounds too militaristic for such a peaceful car. (And a long-time peacenik and pacifist like me.) -- Of course, not too many golf carts can drive on the street at up to 34 mph.

·
Registered
623 Posts
More a question of terminology: Above 42 mph the ICE must turn, because at 42 mph with the ICE stationary, MG1 must spin backwards at 6500 rpm, and that's its computer-controlled limit. However, when conditions warrant, the ICE can spin without producing power. Some folks call this "super-stealth" mode, though that term makes no sense to me.

However, at higher speeds the ICE is relatively more efficient, and the electric drive less so, so this high-speed golf-cart mode is not common, as the computer is programmed to go for efficiency. But it has been documented.

·
Registered
220 Posts
jamarimutt said:
From a standstill you can't accelerate beyond 41 mph in stealth mode.
And... you have to consider the terrain... if you reach 41mph as you tip over a hill, your electric will continue as fast as gravivty will take you. (But the ICE may spin silently, as Daniel says).

·
Registered
623 Posts
34 is the limit when using the EV switch. Actually, 34 seems to be the trip point, when it kicks out of EV mode. But in non-EV electric mode, the highest I've had it is 42. I suspect it has a strong predisposition, but not an absolute imperative, for the ICE to run when it must begin to spin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts