Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went out on May 26 looking for a truck to take us to the Yukon for the summer. I suggested to my wife that while we were at the Toyota dealer we look at the hybrids. Since the Honda dealer was next door we tested the Civic Hybrid and then tried the Prius. The salesman indicated that getting one before our departure (June 23rd or so) was next to impossible since all the cars are built to order. We met the sales manager who said he'd look into seeing if one was available if we weren't particular about colour. We continued looking for a truck and eventually found a suitable vehicle (Nissan Frontier with quad cab, standard transmission, and zero factory options). We put a deposit on it while we thought it over. My wife was not sold on it as much as she was sold on the Prius. The Honda was instantly dismissed by her. She will be using this vehicle for work as a Community Health Nurse where she is paid by the kilometre.

Dennis, the sales manager at Metro Toyota in Victoria, BC, called on May 28 to say that they had put "extra effort" into finding a vehicle for us and had found a customer who was willing to delay delivery of their vehicle in order for us to have one for our trip. This one is a "Package A" so it doesn't have the fancy stereo and such of "Package B" but we wouldn't have bought the "B" package anyway.

I understand that Canadian dealers have "Access" pricing which, as near as I can interpret that, means "no dicker sticker"! The business manager has indicated that he is willing to give his "valued"customers (we are "decade" Toyota owners) a deal we can't refuse. He's willing to pay the interest on the cost of the car for three months while we decide which way we want to pay for it. Sounds like a good deal but my banker tells me to beware since one of her customers took the deal and it didn't work due to "documentation" costs and such.

Sorry to be so long-winded on my first post, but like many of you I am soooooooo excited about this new technology and what it will mean in the grand scheme of things in this rapidly changing world.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I'd say get the car, and forget about the funky financing arrangements. It sounds like you'd be asking for trouble. So instead, make your own arrangements at a financial institution of your choosing.

·
Registered
623 Posts
The salesman indicated that getting one before our departure (June 23rd or so) was next to impossible since all the cars are built to order.
Everything I have seen indicates that Prius are not built to order, ever. There is, however, a tremendous backlog due to demand vastly outpacing supply. Toyota greatly under-estimated the demand for the 2004 model. You are very lucky to have found one so fast.

·
Registered
110 Posts
kudos for your dealer for going through the hassle of finding a car, but no kudos for what might prove to be a questionable financing arrangement. If he is actually going to absorb the interest for3 months while you decide on financing, then he's really doing you a favor. Question I have is, "do you trust him?", i.e. how long have you been dealing with him? Have you bought other cars from him?
Congrats for getting a Prius in record time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
financing

Thanks for all the input. I remarked to my wife while in the business managers office that business managers get to be business managers because they are the top salesmen/women. (At least it was that way when I was flogging cars in the early 70's). He said that he had never sold a car in his life. That he was previously a pro-soccer player and such. Still, he was way too slick for me, a real "pro". My wife refers to him as "pretty boy".

VanCity Savings (a credit union) is offering prime rate (3.75) + 0% for 60 months on hybrids. Coast Capital (another credit union) is offering prime + 1% over 84 months. A friend of my wifes took the Van City offer to Coast Capital and they matched! I think we'll probably go for pre-approved financing and just write the cheque.

There seems to be some discussion about being sold (buying) the extended warranty and undercoating and etc. while in the business managers office. My gut feeling is just to do the deal as is and think about the extras after the smoke has cleared. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Duncan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts