Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everyone seems keen to know what other prospective Prius owners status is regarding their forthcoming "little bit of heaven", here's mine.

Salesman called to say car is in Vancouver. Now it has to go on a trailer and be transported by road and ferry to Victoria. So it may arrive in town tomorrow or the next day since it is tagged "sold". With luck we'll have it Wednesday the 16th of June.

We started looking for a new vehicle on May 26, 2004. There were none available but the sales manager managed to find someone willing to delay delivery (what were they thinking???) so we could have one before we left for the Yukon for the summer. They found one on the 28th of May, and here it is only the 14th of June. Better than winning the lottery.

And for those of you south of the border who are running into dealers who feel that supply and demand equals "bonus" pricing then you should know that Toytota Canada (or at least BC) has something called "Access Pricing". Something like "no dicker sticker". The MSRP of a base Package "A" Prius in Canada is CDN$29,990. Under the Access Pricing the selling price to us is CDN$29,981.

That's right, folks, your eyes do not deceive you, we have been offered this vehicle for CDN$9 under MSRP. Canadian gas prices in Victoria right now are about CDN.984 a litre. I believe there are 3.86 litres to an Imperial Gallon and that a US Gallon is 5/8ths of an Imperial Gallon. An Imperial Gallon is 160 fluid ounces. Now I can't work all this out so I'm relying on somebody to tell me exactly how far I can travel on the money I've saved due to Canadian Access Pricing.

We haven't actually sat down in the Salesmanagers office to negotiate a final price but somehow I think I'm looking at it right now. Still a deal considering the length of time waiting and no dealer markup.

Breakdown on price is (all CDN) Access Price of $29,981, Freight and delivery $1,100, battery levy $5, Federal Excise Tax - Air $100, and tire levy of $15 for a subtotal of $31,211. Add in Federal Tax (GST) of 7% at $2,184.77 and Provincial Tax (PST) of $2,339.322, and we should be writing a cheque for $35,735.09.

That is, unless the finance manager can finesse us into spending more. The future looks exciting.

Duncan

Check this space soon for photo of new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Duncan,
Congratulations on your new Prius!
We just picked up ours yesterday in Vancouver.
Don't forget to apply for your PST rebate (nearly $800).

Add in Federal Tax (GST) of 7% at $2,184.77 and Provincial Tax (PST) of $2,339.322, and we should be writing a cheque for $35,735.09.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rebate

Is the rebate something the dealer helps you with, or do you have to source the forms?

Congratulations on your new Prius, it must have come in at the same time as ours. Details please?

Did your dealer sweeten the deal at all? Did you try?

Duncan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ours is millennium silver like the one at the top of the page (package B).

Our helpful product advisor provided us with a copy of Bulletin SST 085
from the B.C. Ministry of Provincial Revenue. It is available through http://www.rev.gov.bc.ca
and spells out the rules and how to make a claim.

Having discussed the Access Toyota program at several dealerships,
we didn't even bother to haggle. For a hot new vehicle like the Prius,
the removal of uncertainty as to pricing does make for a more pleasant
buying experience, we found. Compare the angst of our southern neighbours,
who face premiums of up to US$9K! A C$9 discount doesn't seem so bad, after all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts