Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an upcoming Prius owner (Sept-Oct) and have rented them 3 times (Enterprise) so I'm familiar with the operation and am getting to learn some driving techniques to maximize mpg, but as I look at the Park button when I'm driving the 15 :twisted: year old inside my head....and that would be going back mucho years....says "what would happen if I press this while in Drive?". Is it like slamming a traditional tranny into park or is there some kind of safety override built in. Just curious. Any 15 year olds out there who tried this? :twisted:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I vaguely remember reading someone on one of the Yahoo! groups doing this by accident. Apparently it sent the PSD into neutral, rather than true park. Still not good, but not catastrophically destructive.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The manual says that it just beeps at you for being a doofus. Toyota did not say doofus I added that part! Just reading between the lines. :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Per the "Prius New Car Features 2004" manual, the computerized shift control will "reject" 4 requests and sound a buzzer to alert the driver.

1. Shifting out of P without pressing the brake pedal. Instead, it maintains the P position.

2. Shifting to P while driving (I'm pretty sure this means while moving). Instead it shifts to N.

3. Shifting from D to R or from R to D while driving. Instead it shifts to N.

4. Shifting to B from any position other than D. Instead it shifts to N.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have always been scared of accidentally pressing it. But now, I feel a little better after reading that. Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts