Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an upcoming Prius owner (Sept-Oct) and have rented them 3 times (Enterprise) so I'm familiar with the operation and am getting to learn some driving techniques to maximize mpg, but as I look at the Park button when I'm driving the 15 :twisted: year old inside my head....and that would be going back mucho years....says "what would happen if I press this while in Drive?". Is it like slamming a traditional tranny into park or is there some kind of safety override built in. Just curious. Any 15 year olds out there who tried this? :twisted:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Per the "Prius New Car Features 2004" manual, the computerized shift control will "reject" 4 requests and sound a buzzer to alert the driver.

1. Shifting out of P without pressing the brake pedal. Instead, it maintains the P position.

2. Shifting to P while driving (I'm pretty sure this means while moving). Instead it shifts to N.

3. Shifting from D to R or from R to D while driving. Instead it shifts to N.

4. Shifting to B from any position other than D. Instead it shifts to N.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have always been scared of accidentally pressing it. But now, I feel a little better after reading that. Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.