Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spouse will not listen to reason. :roll:

Spouse thinks the sprayed on wax at the quicky car wash is comparable to the rub/buff on stuff for protection, finish longevity etc.

I, on the other hand, am certain the better liquid waxes are superior to the quicky wash wax. 8) There's an 05 Salsa's finish at stake.

What's the truth. Click and Clack will not take my calls anymore. :wink:

G

·
Well, you know what we're going to say, don't you? :D Personally, I think the spray-on stuff is pretty worthless, but I'm no expert. Why not seek your answer on one of the many boards devoted to detailing autos, where a lot of people who really know their stuff can give you more definitive information? I know there are quite a few of them, but here's one for starters: http://www.detailcity.com

Joe

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Spouse thinks the sprayed on wax at the quicky car wash is comparable to the rub/buff on stuff for protection, finish longevity etc.
I, on the other hand, am certain the better liquid waxes are superior to the quicky wash wax. There's an 05 Salsa's finish at stake.
What's the truth."

The "spray on" wax used by car washes is 90% useless. Especially if your car is not garaged. Like your skin, direct sunshine is the most damaging element to a painted surface. Since there is no way to duplicate the effects of TIME & CLIMATE on your car's finish..(except in a lab) it's difficult to provide you (or your wife) with a conclusive answer.
Take a car with a dull (oxidized) finish and run it through a spray wax wash. Will it come out all shiney and shedding (beading) water..? Not likely.
It's just another case of, "You get what you pay for." Hand waxing a car is a labor of love. If you don't have the time or inclination.. pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hmm, it brings up the age old question... Would you rather be right or happy?

·
Registered
457 Posts
"We've got clearcoat! Why bother waxing?"
Clearcoat is still "paint" and is subject to weathering and some stains. If you're looking to keep that show room shine, use a GOOD polish + wax once a year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I prefer Meguiar's Gold Class, or Meguiar's nxt generation Tech Wax. Both of these are pastes, go on easy and wipe off easy and give long lasting protection. Yes, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
melgish said:
Hmm, it brings up the age old question... Would you rather be right or happy?
I'd rather be left and happy. Being right just seems to make people angry and mean.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
JDavies said:
"We've got clearcoat! Why bother waxing?"
Clearcoat is still "paint" and is subject to weathering and some stains. If you're looking to keep that show room shine, use a GOOD polish + wax once a year.
Clearcoat is a UV-resistant hard polymer. Polish just slowly scrapes it off.

I volunteer to run an experiment. No more waxing for me. I'll post pictures of the results over time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
'Clearcoat is a UV-resistant hard polymer. "

Partially correct. Uv-resistent not equal to UV-proof. Over time depends on quality of the clear coat, it can get dull/whitish, even peel back/seperate from the paint entirely.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You'll have to wash your car a lot more. Rain and even morning dew is highly acidic. And you have to be careful to keep lime and scale from building up as these don't come off as easy as with wax. Without wax, things like tar, tree sap, road oils stick and accumulate better.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
drash said:
You'll have to wash your car a lot more. Rain and even morning dew is highly acidic. And you have to be careful to keep lime and scale from building up as these don't come off as easy as with wax. Without wax, things like tar, tree sap, road oils stick and accumulate better.
The beauty of Mr. Clean Autodry is that the soap leaves a slippery film and the final rinse is demineralized. Dirt comes right off at the next wash, the car always looks waxed, and there are no swirls. It works so well that I actually enjoy washing it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.