Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching everywhere, but there appear to be no rumors (that I can find) on the web, period.

So, my question is, does anyone here have any speculation on what might be in store for us when the next major redesign of the Prius occurs, or what it may look like? What would you like to see?

I'm assuming that Toyota will introduce the next generation in the 2008 model year (so, that means October of 2007). Am I crazy?

I hope they include a few improvements like a keyhole for the rear hatch, and a hatch release next to the drivers seat. For that matter, I hope they keep the hatchback body style.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, you're crazy. The 2007 Prius will almost certainly be a 3rd-generation. Toyota will probably give hints about the car in summer 2006 and post more information a bit later on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CGameProgrammer said:
Yes, you're crazy.
I knew it! :lol:

Just to continue this conversation, what proof do you have? Product cycles don't always stick to the same "every ____ number of years."

Still, if you're right, cool! :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I tend to doubt there would be a keyhole for the hatch, though a trunk release on the fob and possibly by the driver would be nice. I believe the reason there isn't one by the driver now is because the hatch is not spring loaded to stay unlatched. I know people have had problems doing it right, but you can jump the car from the hood as long as the required fuses haven't blown, and you can open the hood from the cabin, and you can get to the cabin mechanically via the driver door and it's mechanical backup key. Perhaps a redesign of the jumper terminals is in order. Maybe make it LOOK like a battery (fuses and relays inside), to fool clueless roadside assistance services?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose what I meant by a hatch latch is a relocation of the manual hatch opening latch (say that ten times fast). I think that crawling into the rear of your Prius just to open the hatch when your fob's battery is out is a little annoying. Just imagine having the rear of your car full of stuff: it would be really, really hard to get to that latch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the 2007 prius will be damn near the same car as the 06 is. 'Maybe' in 08 we'll see the 3rd gen. I just don't think they'll keep the 2nd gen for only 3 years... 4 yes maybe even 5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DanMan32 said:
Well, if you connect an external power source to the car, you can electrically unlatch the hatch.
Yes, but is there a button for it near the drivers seat, or somewhere easier to locate than in the rear of the car under the floor panels?

(Just to note, I do not yet own a Prius. I'm saving.)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
What I am saying is, you can't open the hatch because the car has no power. So, give it power. You only need enough power to operate the electronics and press the unlatch on the hatch.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
DanMan32 said:
What I am saying is, you can't open the hatch because the car has no power. So, give it power. You only need enough power to operate the electronics and press the unlatch on the hatch.
Yes, but if you're in a parking lot away from any power source, awaiting a tow truck to jump start you, you might have reason to get in the rear in the mean time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So am I to believe that there are absolutely no rumors or spy shots or anything concerning the next generation Toyota Prius? That's amazing!

I'm a longtime member of the forums at http://www.macrumors.com. There, there's always something juicy to gossip and dream about: new iPods, the latest PowerBook update, yada yada. I thought there might be something similar here.....

Oh well. If any one finds anything, post it! Let's get the rumor mill started! :D

·
Registered
344 Posts
They are currently working on a redesign. It's not done yet, so no spy shots available at this time.

I am submitting a list of likes and dislikes about the current Prius to a contact at Toyota USA as soon as PriusChat comes back up. If I hear back I will share any info I get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some Info on Prius 3

In the German motor magazin Auto Motor & Sport May/2005 there was a short notice about direction of development for P3 (see attachment -unfortunately only in German).

Basic approach is to increase the power of 50KW electrical engine by 15% with the target to increase mpg by 20%.

P3 will be launched earlieast in 2008 (statement from Hans-Peter Wandt, Public Relation TOYOTA Germany, on the International Automobilshow IAA in Frankfurt in Sept. 2005).

Thorsten

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
:shock:

3.6L/100km?!?! Daaamn! That would be sweet.

Hmm, 15% increase in electric motor. They really aren't gonna inject the Prius with any more power than necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With Prius sales being as stong as they are and most dealers selling them before they are even on American soil, why would Toyota redesign the car so soon?

With the Prius, there has been no slow in sales like we witness in the Camry or Accord as the style becomes stale and the technology old--becuase neither has happened yet.

With a few more content upgrades, small styling updates and updates to the HSD, this generation Prius could go on for another 5-6 years.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Not when Honda's on your tail and boasting 50mpg averages with its mild hybrid system

·
Registered
129 Posts
stangmatt66 said:
With Prius sales being as stong as they are and most dealers selling them before they are even on American soil, why would Toyota redesign the car so soon?

With the Prius, there has been no slow in sales like we witness in the Camry or Accord as the style becomes stale and the technology old--becuase neither has happened yet.

With a few more content upgrades, small styling updates and updates to the HSD, this generation Prius could go on for another 5-6 years.
i don't see why toyota should wait until they see sales dropping. if they keep on top of things they would spark more interest in more people

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
Not when Honda's on your tail and boasting 50mpg averages with its mild hybrid system
That is why I guessed only a 3-year run for the current Prius -- the new HCH is coming out very soon (official release October 19th) and even though Honda doesn't expect it to sell nearly as well as the Prius, I still think it'll provide stiff competition. I myself almost bought the Prius but eventually turned it down in favor of the new HCH, which I plan on buying as soon as I can.

Yeah, maybe Toyota has enough momentum that they can go two more years with the current one... especially given that it's still in the design phase.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts