Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At long last, I think I'm about to break down and buy a new car. I'm not 100% certain. I may just keep my car keep my car and save the money car payment money for a later purchase. And while there are other cars that interest me, I think I've pretty much decided on a Prius.

I found a used one in the color I thought I'd like about 15 miles from me. I drove over and took a look at it. I do like the color. For the price, I think I'll either drive to find exactly what I want or I'll wait for one to order one.

One thing I found to be a problem was headroom in the back. I'm just over 5'7" and I was hitting my head on the roof in the back. As I often drive when I go places with friends, and I'm the shortest of us, that could be a problem. I think that's the only downside I've found to this car.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Christopher said:
One thing I found to be a problem was headroom in the back. I'm just over 5'7" and I was hitting my head on the roof in the back. As I often drive when I go places with friends, and I'm the shortest of us, that could be a problem. I think that's the only downside I've found to this car.
Are you talking about the back of an 04/05 ? I'm 5 10. I sit back there in my 04, wearing a pork pie style straw hat, and still have an inch of headroom left.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An04Prius said:
Christopher said:
Are you talking about the back of an 04/05 ? I'm 5 10. I sit back there in my 04, wearing a pork pie style straw hat, and still have an inch of headroom left.
It was an '04. Which surprised me because I thought it had had more headroom when I looked at them before. I was rubbing my head on the ceiling right where it dipped down and ended at the rear window. Dunno. Just found it weird.

Godiva said:
How often do you drive from the back seat?
Not very often. :) I was thinking more for the comfort of my passengers. Though they don't seem to mind too much sitting in my current car which has much less headroom. Unfortunately, I can only carry 3 people in it. The person in the rear has to sit sideways and kind of hunched over, so I suspect this would be a huge improvement. :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
[quote="Christopher
It was an '04. Which surprised me because I thought it had had more headroom when I looked at them before. I was rubbing my head on the ceiling right where it dipped down and ended at the rear window. Dunno. Just found it weird.
[/quote]

Oh, what you did was lean way back against the raised headrest, which is not the position I (or I think most people) would normally ride. Yes, if you lean way back against the raised headrest, you will brush your head up against that dip in the roof as the roof-line makes its way to the hatchback.

But I find normal riding in back, I do not lean my head into the headrest. And as I said, I sit in the seat very comfortably, with my hat on.
But you do have to ck to make sure it works for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah! You're right, that's what I did. I very rarely sit in the back, so I was just moving around back there trying to see if it was going to be a problem. When I touched my head back there, it just triggered something letting me know that there may be a problem. At the time, it didn't occur to me that it was a abnormal position. Of course, the salesman trying to convince me to buy, buy, buy made me want to get out of there as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You could slouch a bit and take advantage of the plentiful rear legroom. That's what I do when I sit behind cause if I sit upright, I hit the headliner

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
An04Prius said:
Bear, that image is scaring me... :?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am about 6'3 and with my hair combed nice and moosed up, I have no more than an inch. But the head room isn't the problem, the view of the road is much a little different. Its like the sun-visor cuts a little bit out of my view.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sanny said:
An04Prius said:
Bear, that image is scaring me... :?
ME scare YOU ?!? I'm still recovering from "a bite in the shorts" :oops:

Actually, I sit back there with granddaughter no 1 while the car is parked. She likes to wander around the car & share a "crunch bar" (granola bar) with granpa.

Her fav part of the car is the pull out tray beneath the arm rest in front, because that is where crunch bars are stored. And yes, she is allowed to leave as many crumbs around as she wants. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts