Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the bank today to pick up the check to buy my Prius (white#4) this weekend and the lady handling it for me says "oh I just got mine a month ago, I love it..." :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I went to the grocery the other day. Granted, it was the Whole Foods, so geek factor is increased. Car pulled out of a parking place, I pulled in. It was a driftwood Prius! I beeped and the driver waved. :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I went to the pool yesterday and parked next to my friend's 2002 Prius. I went into the complex and waved at my friend. She waved back.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Everytime I drive into the city people turn to look at my Prius (2005 White #6). And when it's parked in a parking lot it very likely will draw a card. I've even had total strangers ask if they can drive it. Yeah, like I'd permit a total stranger to get in my car. :roll:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here in L.A., they're all over the place.

I also have a Honda Element (and wish it were a hybrid, because otherwise it's a dynamite car!) and I see a LOT of those around. When I went back to my home town of Wichita KS, I saw almost no Elements. I suspect that would be the case with the Prius, too, but that's pure conjecture.

Jan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Elephants?!!

In L.A. they're everywhere and I see more every day. I hear that Prius owners in other states wave to one another as they pass. Here they just look at you with the expression, "What are you looking at??" :shock:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Prii are pretty common here in Austin, one of the tree-hugging capitals. For example, I took my son to a swimming lesson Tuesday. Within 5 minutes another Tideland Pearl pulled into the parking lot. It left and then about 5 minutes before I left a Seaside Pearl pulled in.

Also, where I work, the parking garage has at least one Prius on each level.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My white Little Prius always draws stares. Maybe because it has little chili peppers on it at the moment. People giggle at the chilis. They didn't giggle at the hearts or stars. I guess peppers are funnier. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Prius wave declines as population of Prii goes up

Here in Tidewater VA I now see at least one other Prius every day, not counting the 2 "regulars" I see every day in the parking lots at work. But people have stopped doing the wave around here because Prii are no longer rare.

:p

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was in Billings MT yesterday doing some work at the airport. I walked out in front of the terminal at one time and pulling up to drop someone off was a Salsa red one.

Then on my way to work this morning, wife calls, they were doing a report on the Today Show on the Prius and were also featuring a Salsa red.

:D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
heh. Well, Portland Oregon is now the #1 per capita market for the Prius (meaning we may not sell the most in raw numbers, but we sell the most as a percentage of all cars sold,) so I see them all the time. Literally a dozen a day. (I drive for usually 3-4 hours around town each day, so I do have plenty of time to notice them.)

When my wife and I drove to her family in Nebraska for spring break, I saw only 2 after leaving Portland. One was in Boise, Idaho on the way back. The other was in the small town in Nebraska we were staying! (York, NE, for those that care.) The one in Nebraska also had Oregon plates! (I figure those Nebraskans must have thought that these mysterious 'Hybrids' came from Oregon, and that all Oregonians drove them, as it was also the only other car with Oregon plates we saw.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tons of them in the DC area. Actually followed another Driftwood Pearl on part of my commute on the way home the last two days. Given the route, it may have been the same one, didn't check the tag.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
How about this....my office (with around 20 ppl) has a total of 3 Prii...1 '04 and 2 '05.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pittsburgh, PA - I drive into the Oakland section of the 'Burgh and see 2-3 Prius daily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just returned from a round trip from San diego to Salt Lake City. On Highway 15 in the California desert at one point there were 4 of is om a row driving Prius - 2 classics, 2 gen 2's

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here in these parts, they are still fairly uncommon. Most people I've talked to in this area are worried about how it will do in the snow (I guess I'll find out this winter). Anyway, the other day I was driving down the highway, and a car passed me on the left side. My attention was drawn over because I saw something moving in the car. When I looked, it was another Salsa Pri with a couple apparently in their late 60's/early 70's waving violently at me. Very weird. I assume it was because we had the same car. I waved back. I feel like I've joined a cult or something... :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
i seldom see them here in dallas, but they're selling well, apparently...

they're going to get huge soon because of the vast distances people in dallas (and houston) have to drive to and from work...
some of my co-workers drive 40 miles to work, and 40 miles home, each day.... ouch...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
nh_jim said:
Here in these parts, they are still fairly uncommon. Most people I've talked to in this area are worried about how it will do in the snow (I guess I'll find out this winter). Anyway, the other day I was driving down the highway, and a car passed me on the left side. My attention was drawn over because I saw something moving in the car. When I looked, it was another Salsa Pri with a couple apparently in their late 60's/early 70's waving violently at me. Very weird. I assume it was because we had the same car. I waved back. I feel like I've joined a cult or something... :)
Yeah, I've had quite a few 'wavers', but I've had two odd ones. One was like yours, violent waving, followed by pointing at their car and mine alternately. Most recently, I even had someone honk just to get my attention so he could point at our two cars and thumbs up! (With Prii as common as they are in Portland, I wonder if he ends up honking multiple times a day...)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts