Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with the recent gas price escalation ( and you ain't seen anything yet!) I assume that we have one of the most desired autos on the road. I assume that the bad guys are going to start stealing these things in record numbers.
Can anyone tell me about how hard/easy it is to steal a Prius and what we can do to make it even harder to boost our car (short of keeping it in a locked garage all the time).

·
Registered
44 Posts
impossible to steal without the key. i suppose they could do costly damage while trying to break in and fiddle with the keyhole but it is impossible to steal without the key.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
About the only way to steal one would be with a tow truck unless you walked away with it running and the key in the ignition.
No kid is going to steal one to take a "joy ride."
There is no aftermarket for parts as there are no mechanics who know where the parts would go.
If you parked next to a Hummer the thief would still go for the Hummer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stealing a Prius

Hello all, new to this group.

Yes they will need the key, however carjackings happen, thats why I have the glass ID system, smart key and Lojack installed and it does reduce your insurance.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hyperion said:
About the only way to steal one would be with a tow truck unless you walked away with it running and the key in the ignition.
No kid is going to steal one to take a "joy ride."
There is no aftermarket for parts as there are no mechanics who know where the parts would go.
If you parked next to a Hummer the thief would still go for the Hummer.
Now THAT is something for the "Stupid Criminal" file. :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Stealing a Prius

Paul H said:
Hello all, new to this group.

Yes they will need the key, however carjackings happen, thats why I have the glass ID system, smart key and Lojack installed and it does reduce your insurance.
How will the glass or SKS help with carjackings? Besides, the carjacker won't get too far if you don't give him or her the valet cheat sheet. :)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
SKS? You mean the smart-entry and smart start system? That will help because the key is always in your pocket.

·
Registered
54 Posts
BIF said:
SKS? You mean the smart-entry and smart start system? That will help because the key is always in your pocket.
If the car is off when you get carjacked, the carjacker isn't going to let you go until you hand over the key. If the car is on and the carjacker doesn't realize that the key isn't attached to the car, he or she can still drive it away. You can get rid of the key after you turn the car on, but when you turn it off again you're stuck. In a carjacking, though, you still don't have the car anymore.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That's why I have Lojack. If I get carjacked, I get out and leave the scene. If he gets my key, he gets my key.

If not, he can drive it until he shuts it off.

Either way, Lojack will help me get my car back. The sooner that happens, the less damage done.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You may want to check your local law enforcement if they support lojack. Many don't, or do so poorly, making it a waste of money.

·
Registered
171 Posts
First, never say never. If it is worth enough money, someone will learn how to steal it.

Second, PD's don't support or not support Lojack. Lojack locates the car and calls the police to tell them where it is. It is no different if you would find your car and call, telling them where it is. If they deem it a lower priority over something else, well, they will get to it when they can (Finding stolen cars is generally exciting for police, they will drop a lot of other stuff to get your car)

Last, my philosophy will always be..."lose a car, get a check", because I will not be in charge if a person steals my car. It's just "stuff".

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That's not what Lojack had been advertizing. Maybe they changed since law enforcement didn't want to be bothered with using a tracking device. Still, I would do some research. I don't think a central office can tell you exactly where the car is, at least not any closer than 300 feet, and possibly further than that.

OT, anyone notice their GPS show them off target? Until ded-reconing calibrated my posisition relative to map roads, it had me .1 miles SE of where I actually was.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
From Lojack's own website:

LOJACK SYSTEM OVERVIEW
Through an unequaled and highly successful relationship with law enforcement agencies around the country, LoJack is the only provider of stolen vehicle recovery systems that is fully integrated with police. LoJack provides federal, state, county and local law enforcement agencies with special tracking technology enabling police to track and recover your stolen car.

The patented LoJack System includes a small radio frequency transceiver hidden in up to 20 places in a your vehicle. Each LoJack System has a unique code that is tied into the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). When a theft is reported to the police, a routine entry into the state police crime computer results in a match of the LoJack System's unique code against the state VIN database. This automatically activates the LoJack System in your car, which emits an inaudible signal. Law enforcement authorities who are equipped with LoJack vehicle tracking units - in their police cruisers and aviation units - are always listening for a LoJack signal. Police use the LoJack vehicle tracking units to track and recover your LoJack equipped vehicle.

So, if they (law enforcement) don't have the tracking equipment, you don't get your car back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Playing the Odds

SgtKarl said:
Second, PD's don't support or not support Lojack. Lojack locates the car and calls the police to tell them where it is. It is no different if you would find your car and call, telling them where it is. If they deem it a lower priority over something else, well, they will get to it when they can (Finding stolen cars is generally exciting for police, they will drop a lot of other stuff to get your car)
According to LoJack, "When you file a stolen vehicle report with the police, police computers send a silent radio signal to your car, automatically activating the hidden LoJack transmitter in your vehicle. Police can then track the signal and locate the vehicle. ... LoJack is the only stolen vehicle recovery system operated by police." In fact, it looks like you're not even required to register your car with the company itself.

My salesman showed me the spreadsheet he gets from LoJack each month, showing recovered vehicles. It was extremely impressive, with recovery times of a few minutes in many cases. It looks like an excellent product, but it's completely useless unless your car is stolen. That sounds dumb, but you have to consider the odds. LoJack will raise the cost of your Prius by 3-5%, but the Prius is 76% less likely to get stolen than the average car. If your car is usually parked near other cars, there's very little incentive for a thief to waste time and risk exposure by towing it. He or she will probably move on to another car. In fact, you should try to park near an Acura Integra -- these days it's the most stolen vehicle on the road.

Sources:
LoJack Corporation
Highway Loss Data Institute
CCC Information Services, Inc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My PD (for which I work) gets phone calls from OnStar. I think that is what I was thinking of. If Lojack wants to sell a servce, don't make my PD buy equipment. Buy it themselves.

·
Registered
54 Posts
SgtKarl said:
If Lojack wants to sell a servce, don't make my PD buy equipment. Buy it themselves.
LoJack doesn't really sell a service, it sells a product. There are no recurring fees. You pay a one-time cost for the equipment, and that's all you'll ever pay.

I think it's a great business model (for people who decide to get a tracking device in the first place), since there's no sense hiring LoJack trackers all over the country when every locality already has a police department.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
But it depends on the PD having the tracking device. You might want to check if your local authorities have such a tracking device. If they don't, then lojack is useless.

Now if you buy your own tracking device, and give it to the authorities when your vehicle is stolen, then it might be useful.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
To me it looks like there are a lot of holes in the coverage by LoJack:
Statewide coverage (over 80% of the population)
Arizona
California
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
New Jersey
Rhode Island
Major Metropolitan areas, cities and high crime area coverage
Colorado
Northern Delaware