Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just gor a new prius and thought that the Theft deterrent system would sound the horn if the car door was opened from the inside. the service dept said that it was not an alarm system (that is extra) is this correct?
From what i get out of the owners manual, it this is not a option and can be turned off. if so how do you turn it back on?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I set off my '05 once doing something unexpected with location of smartkey and operation of doors. I think the theft deterrant system does sound the horn in some cases... it also locks ignition and I hear the car can't be hard-wired in the same sense as a traditional car. Getting an alarm that sounds when the glass is broken, IS an add-on.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have package 6, and I've heard the horn/alarm go off. I was sitting in it, playing with all the "stuff" when I first got it. I'd powered off, so the little red car on the dash was blinking. When I opened the door.... BEEP BEEP BEEP... end of the world. Sure was active on mine!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
What package do you have? Some packages do not have the alarm turned on, and you have pay for an 'option' to effectively turn it on, though you also get a Glass Breakage Sensor for your trouble.

Other than the GBS (which is an option, and does not come with any package), you have all the hardware for the alarm, including the horn.

However, it has been found that a cooperative dealer could actually turn on the alarm without installing GBS or cutting any wires. Needs to turn DOP on with the scan tool. Would only take a technician 5 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theft deturrant

I have the basic prius with the front side air bags $650 option I think it is package A

·
Registered
112 Posts
Eventually, someone will determine the right bytes to shovel down
the CANbus to enable/disable the damn thing, as well as all those
other "dealer settable options". It's idiotic that such things
should be withheld as arcane knowledge and need special tools.
_
_H*

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
rcbookie said:
I just gor a new prius and thought that the Theft deterrent system would sound the horn if the car door was opened from the inside. the service dept said that it was not an alarm system (that is extra) is this correct?
From what i get out of the owners manual, it this is not a option and can be turned off. if so how do you turn it back on?
All Prius come with an engine immobilizer, which means that you must have a recognized (programed with the car) keyfob in order to start the engine.

Please check your window sticker for whether you ordered the anti-theft alarm or not. ("Package A" only means something if you're in Canada. Individual US Toyota regions sometimes like to rebrand the national option package codes to an A,B,C... scheme...) See: http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/prius/options.html

The theft deterrent system (anti-theft alarm) is described in the 2004 US Prius Owner's Manual on pages 44-45. Turn car off. Remove keyfob from the dash, or open the driver's door if you have SE&SS/SKS. Close and lock all doors and hood. Wait 30 seconds or so for the indicator light to start flashing again. The car is now alarmed, so if a door is opened without the mechanical key or remote button or SE&SS/SKS (say, someone left inside opens the door, or the door is opened by a hand placed through a window), the alarm will go off.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
GreyMud said:
Not sure, but I had my '02 for a year before I found that the alarm was active.

Roll down the window, lock the door, then open the door with the inside handle. You may have to wait a minute after locking.
yeah, all Classic 2001-2003 Prius came with the alarm. On the 2004+ Prius, it depends on what option package you choose or if you get the extra optional accessory as to whether you get an alarm or not.

(Rumor has it that on the 2004+ Prius, all the programming is there for the alarm, just that it's not turned on in all the vehicles... Similar to the cruise control situation for the Classic Prius - the programming was there, just that they didn't put the right steering wheel/brake switch on the non-cruise-control Prius...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts