Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cute girl in a Seaside just waved at me and my Tideland.

It'd take a power tool to wipe the giddy smile off my face.

DGStan

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
DGstan, Please do not start the "Prius Wave" V signs, Honking, waving
this is going on in Yahoo=prius Forums for days. ! Actually, I do like to
standardize the amongst Prius owners salutes though !

A new topic perhaps ? but let keep it 3 pages max !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Prius Wave is Back!

Yep, same here!
My wife and I were driving into Austin yesterday for kayak lessons and we got a nice Prius wave from a young lady in a nice Salsa. Combine the wave and that "Yeah, we're cool smile" and it was a pleasant exchange. Saw three other Prii yesterday in Austin - one Seaside and two silver. Wonder if Ray was one of them?
By the way, we've only driven 1200 miles, and have averaged 53 miles per gallon per tank. Super! Love our Prius!

·
Registered
157 Posts
me too

Yep. Lots rolling into Boston now...seem mostly Seaside and the green that isn't. Silver too.

Got a pleasant wave from a fellow silver yesterday. Probably saw 10 in one day.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not me, but if it had dealer tags, it could have been my wife in her new silver Prius. We have twins now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am on the 110 Freeway everyday and I usually see the same Prii on my way to and from work. There is about 5 of us, mostly silver. No one waves, but I think that may have to do with the recent multiple shootings on the 110.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Missed it by that much -><-

I didn't get a chance to speak to or wave to the proud new owners of the Salsa Red that was pulling out of Toyota of Melbourne as I drove up for my 30k.

I did however finally work out the true cost of free tires for life...

Code:
Service recommended by Dealership vs Toyota
5000 miles      25.99          25.99 
10,000 miles    79.99          25.99
15,000 miles   279.99          79.99  
20,000 miles    79.99          25.99
25,000 miles    25.99          25.99
30,000 miles   279.99          79.99
So assuming tires are $50 each and last 60K miles... The additional charges Toyota of Melbourne tacks on for following their service schedule instead of saying "do what this book says, and nothing else" will amount to the cost of 10 tires.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
My understanding is that you only have to do the required maintenance by the dealer, not their frivolous recommendations.

It better be that way, or I am raising a big stink.

So: every 5K oil change and tire rotation: $45 including tax.
Every 30K add filters. If they don't charge me labor, I'll have them do it, otherwise I'll buy the filters from parts and install myself while still on the lot.
I'll even throw in a trans fluid change at 60K, which is not required.

$50 per tire is a bit low, if you include installation and balance.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I got a honk AND a wave on the interstate this morning. Salsa red. A light silver one waved yesterday when I was on the way home from guitar lesson. A dark silver/grey one ignored me completely on Monday evening. Some stuffy guy in a suit. Ptui! This week the Little Prius has red white and blue stars on it. :) Very cheery. Sort of like fireworks, without the scary noises.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
DanMan32 said:
My understanding is that you only have to do the required maintenance by the dealer, not their frivolous recommendations.
When I had my 15,000 done they insisted I get an alignment or I would give up the free tires... that's what started me calculating...

I picked $50 and 60k just as guestimate values. At 30k I can see there's still that much tread left... But even at twice the price, not doing it the dealers way is still cheaper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
not a wave yet

I've never gotten a wave yet. I'm still hopeful but my confidence is shaken.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: not a wave yet

EJ23 said:
I've never gotten a wave yet. I'm still hopeful but my confidence is shaken.
Sometimes it's better to give than to receive. You'll be happy in the knowledge that you TRIED to give joy to someone! :) I find that I have more success with the "roll down the window and wave" than with the "in the car" wave. Maybe the glare from the windows makes my enthusiasm hard to detect?

·
Registered
163 Posts
HEY! Don't forget about those of us with the classic Prius! We need waves, too. Most of my waves are when I'm on foot. I'll see Prii when I'm walking out of a parking garage, and wave anyway.

I got a wave a week or so ago from an Insight. We both had big 'insider' grins.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
melgish said:
DanMan32 said:
When I had my 15,000 done they insisted I get an alignment or I would give up the free tires... that's what started me calculating...

I picked $50 and 60k just as guestimate values. At 30k I can see there's still that much tread left... But even at twice the price, not doing it the dealers way is still cheaper.
I'd ask them to show me where i signed for that requirement. I lost my certificate, but I believe all it said was required maintenance was to be done exclusively by them. During new owner orientation, they did say they would excuse maintenance done such as an oil change if you were out of town with the car when work needed to be done.
Alignment is not required maintenance.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Re: not a wave yet

Sanny said:
Maybe the glare from the windows makes my enthusiasm hard to detect?
Nope I can detect your enthusiasm just fine from here :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Dan, "new owner orientation" and "free tires"? Where, pray tell?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I waved at a couple of folks on the 290 freeway - they were in a nice Prius - I was riding my Buell. They waved back but probably thought I was insane :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
my first wave

I am very happy to report that on Friday I got my first wave! As you all know I've been struggling with fact no one would even give me a look. On friday a guy in a seaside made my day! Yay I'm so happy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Best location for a Wave

6/5/05 on the Blue Ridge Parkway a few miles south of the James River: my northbound Salsa Red '04 came face to face with a southbound Salsa Red '04/'05. How cool is that! 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts