Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plagerized from the 2G group, no promise that it will work or when they'll run out or anything. I haven't tried it as I have a copy and I don't think it would be right to hoard them.

But, for those of you familiar with the book documenting the history if the development of the 'real' 1st Generation Prius this is a very rare book. It's extremely difficult to find. If they really still have free copies available (you do have to pay shipping) you should get your hands on it now.

The info:
To get your own copy of "The Prius that shook the World", call Toyota
MDC at 1-800-622-2033. Ask for publication number 00606-PRIUS-BOOK.
The cost of the book is $0.00 and shipping is $5.95. I am told they
have "a lot" of copies in stock.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll verify that they have them - I just ordered mine!

It was indeed $5.95 total. They didn't say if the $5.95 was for shipping or for the book itself, but it doesn't really matter, does it?. It should be here in 7-10 days.

Thanks for the info Dr. Fusco.

DGStan

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
efusco said:
To get your own copy of "The Prius that shook the World", call Toyota
MDC at 1-800-622-2033. Ask for publication number 00606-PRIUS-BOOK.
The cost of the book is $0.00 and shipping is $5.95. I am told they
have "a lot" of copies in stock.
I will arise early :roll: tomorrow to call in an order. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm so glad people are ordering this. And although I appreciate the thanks this is not my doing or discovery. "J" over at Prius 2G gets credit for the 'discovery'--I'm just sharing the info.

I can't wait to see the barrage of discussion the reading of the book this will stir.

I'm also suprised that Toyota doesn't have some means of making it known that they have publications such as this. I've known about the existance of the book for well over a year, it took me weeks to find a copy (via Toyota Press relations just for asking (they paid shipping via FedEx even)). I'd contacted rare book dealers across the country, asked knowledgable book people, had enquires from those same dealers wanting to know more about it, etc. And all along Toyota's had a stash they're willing to just give away for the asking! Odd.

·
Registered
15 Posts
efusco said:
And all along Toyota's had a stash they're willing to just give away for the asking! Odd.
I spoke to a Toyota Customer service Rep yesterday that did not know about the Book. I gave him the publication # and he was amazed that it existed and even the employees didn't know about it. He also told me that he too was a Prius owner and would be requisitioning a copy for himself. He was able to find it by the publication # on the Company's intranet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Carpe Diem, Brother!

I ordered mine. I called and started to recite the order number, about 4 digits in, the Customer Service rep said "Oh, the prius book." I think they have been gettin a lot of calls!

Thanks for the tip....

BigDaddy

·
Registered
370 Posts
BigDaddy said:
Carpe Diem, Brother!

I ordered mine. I called and started to recite the order number, about 4 digits in, the Customer Service rep said "Oh, the prius book." I think they have been gettin a lot of calls!

Thanks for the tip....

BigDaddy

Guess what I found in my mailbox Saturday afternoon? They shipped the book "Priority Mail"!

DGStan

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also just ordered one, with the following conversation:

Her: This is Toyota Customer Service, how may I help you?
Me: I am calling to order a book.
Her: The Prius book?

These things must be flying off the shelves.

Jay

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just now got around to calling and was told that that book is no longer being made available to the public and is intended only for Toyota Care Centers.
:(

-Bill

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
whohoo! got it in the mail today!

Hmm, not available? really?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ltu1542hvy said:
I just now got around to calling and was told that that book is no longer being made available to the public and is intended only for Toyota Care Centers.
:(

-Bill
That bites...Toyota Care Centers?? What do they need with them?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Got it today, read the first dozen or so pages. VERY dry, and obviously translated from Japanese (which is stated on the last page). Not a single diagram, chart, graph, photo. I'm ready to go to sleep! Hopefully it will get a little more interesting later.

It came with a yellow card labeled "dealer response card" which backs the idea this was not intended for the general public.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes, I was expecting some pictures such as the Lexus History book. However, I've read 74 pages. It's okay so far. I'll treat it as a novel instead :).

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KTPhil said:
Got it today, read the first dozen or so pages. VERY dry, and obviously translated from Japanese (which is stated on the last page). Not a single diagram, chart, graph, photo. I'm ready to go to sleep! Hopefully it will get a little more interesting later.

It came with a yellow card labeled "dealer response card" which backs the idea this was not intended for the general public.
Hang in there, it's not a sci-fi thriller, but there are some really interesting nuggets sown throughout that I think you'll find interesting.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I already found the suspension bit interesting! I wonder how the diagonal beam looks like and whether they've used it in a car by now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Got the book & find it a very interesting read...as an example of how Toyota/Japanese co. works inside.

Glad I got one before the supply dried up. I guess, just like the car itself, they once again underestimated the popularity.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts