Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:roll: The Owner's Manual (324 pages) and the Navigation System Owner's Manual (128 pages) contain a wealth of detailed and helpful information. I am puzzled why so many seem to adamantly refuse to read these documents. I grant you, the translations are sometimes a bit arcane but the information is there for those willing to seek it.

Another valuable resource (in more understandable and practical language) can be found on John's web site: http://john1701a.com/

Label me "GEEK" if you want, but I always read manuals on any equipment or software I obtain.

Try it... you may learn something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Well, as you've asked, Geek (sorry!), here's why I've never bothered, other than a brief look at the bluetooth part:

1. not necessary, it's just a car. I admit I used to read manuals the very first night of ownership of anything, but those days have long passed...it's just no big deal anymore. blase about acquisitions now, I guess. have managed to drive 2 Prii for quite a while now without reading a book on it.
2. more fun to figure it out as I go along (my kid's theory when he buys an XBox game). the manuals are always there as a reference if needed.
3. too long, too boring, too many silly warnings, etc.
4. after more than 30 years selling cars in the U.S. and other English-speaking countries, always improving and refining the product, as well as tailoring them to U.S. (i.e., fat people) preferences, you'd think the Japanese makers could find a decent translator for the manuals. C'mon, the NAV system manual is almost incomprehensible. I think the manuals are worse now than when I bought my first Toyota in 1972.
5. haven't buckled under to get bifocals yet.
6. too many more important/fun/necessary things to do, like tonight, when I plan to hang out on the deck (pretending I'm not freezing) with some friends, smoking cigars and drinking wine. now that's a good way to learn nothing, which is often an admirable goal. wish you were here too!

that said, I do find it annoying every time I see another post about something like the Maint. Req'rd light. So I get your point!

Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
rpm said:
...you'd think the Japanese makers could find a decent translator for the manuals. C'mon, the NAV system manual is almost incomprehensible. I think the manuals are worse now than when I bought my first Toyota in 1972. ...
I think it's because they translate them through Swedish, Polish, Mandarin Chinese, then to English (all the above translations by a Portugese native speaker using the internet free translation programs). :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
joaoesd said:
Portuguese... (Sorry, but I'm a new Portuguese prius owner...). Thank You!
No offense meant to the Portugese among us! :!: It's a beautiful language! (and good wine, too)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
You meant of course Brazilian Portuguese didnt you :wink: :?: :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Victor said:
You meant of course Brazilian Portuguese didnt you :wink: :?: :twisted:
Uh oh. Clearly this has gotten me into trouble with almost everyone! ;) A toast to all the Prius owners in the entire World, and their languages! May their owner's manuals be as unintelligible as those provided with the US models! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
rpm said:
4. after more than 30 years selling cars in the U.S. and other English-speaking countries, always improving and refining the product, as well as tailoring them to U.S. (i.e., fat people) preferences, you'd think the Japanese makers could find a decent translator for the manuals. C'mon, the NAV system manual is almost incomprehensible. I think the manuals are worse now than when I bought my first Toyota in 1972.

Rob
Well, back then, the only thing you needed to know was how to drive! And the manual wasn't written for that, you take a class, or your dad taught you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Re: spelling

Normich said:
I think the good-hearted jab was at your spelling of Portuguese only.
OOOOOh :idea: Imagine that. :lol: I need to do a better job with the free internet translators, too!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top