Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've come to the conclusion that I'll most likely by a Prius_ sometime in 2006. The CivicHybrid, though appealing, loses on paper to the Prius_ and is also hindered by the fact that I can't take one for an overnight test-drive (none available in area, though I'll keep trying). Also, all the things I've read about the HCH in recent articles and magazines, though they praised the vehicle, it still seemed to pale in comparison to the Prius_. Finally, the design of the Prius_, though not a favorite, is unique by far, the sort of VW Beetle uniqueness that has appealed to me since a child. The HCH, on the other hand, though a sleek new design, does not appeal to me like I had hoped it would when I first heard about the HCH redesign.

So, now comes the hard part: what color? I'm not a fan of all those tideland, seaside, etc, pearls. I'll most likely end up with a black, silver or grey. However, the magnetic grey, a new color for 06, won't be out until May. Other new colors include a different red, a pine mica silver (greenish), and a silver with a different name. Silver kind of seems to be the standard hybrid color, though from recollection I think I've seen more blues, tans and whites on the road than silvers. Whatever the case, I don't know if i want to wait until may to get a new car. What color did you choose?

·
Registered
344 Posts
was first on the list and waiting for a blue to come in, but my old car died, so i picked up a black instead. i have no regrets. i love the black color and wouldn't take anything else if i could go back.

that said, it's a pain to keep clean and i have to be rather obsessive about it to have it look nice, and the stone chips on the hood do make me mad.

if you're all freaked out by stone chips and scratches, do not get black. go for gray or silver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that silver is a good choice for hiding marks

I own a silver Toyota and would buy another silver car. Silver's great for hiding dirt and small scratches. For example, there's a surface scratch on the hood about 4" long. I almost never notice it unless I am looking at that part of the hood. I imagine that if I had a black or darker colored care that I'd see that scratch everytime I got near the vehicle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Brad, don't worry about the color...whatever you get, you will learn to love it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Latest color chart I saw indicated the magnetic gray out in Jan 2007, not spring as the earlier chart indicated.

Thought about swapping my 05 for an 06, but the 07 should really have some neat features such as traffic update driving the navigation.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why dealers said May 06. The colour chart I have says CY07 or calendar year 2007. My guess is that Toyota may release a special 10th Anniversary Prius adorned in that colour.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm anti-silver, that was the one color I would NOT have accepted! Too many silver cars out there! I was kind of into black and I really wanted blue and I had a slight fondness for the Salsa red, but I ended up with Driftwood. That's what was on the lot aside from a black one and there was already an offer on the black one. I'm becoming fond of it. It's barn-dust colored which can be a good thing for me and it works well with the ivory interior. I still look a bit longingly when a Seaside drives by, though...

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Driftwood = brown
Ivory = brown

What is the facination with brown as a vehicle color? I'm sure I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but MY 04 and 05 for the Prius were not spectacular in terms of colors available or the combinations of exterior colors with interior colors. The seaside should never have been mated with the brown interior. Bad choice. You don't mix brown and blue together ever. And as far as Salsa red goes, it should have been available in either brown or gray interiros. Brown and red are so-so, but gray and red are excellent together.

In general those two model years produced great cars, but terrible color combination options. I had to go with silver because it has the gray interior as the only option. So far, it shows little dirt and when it is clean it looks spectacular.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Asian Brad said:
So, I've come to the conclusion that I'll most likely by a Prius_ sometime in 2006.
Me, too - waiting for a Jan 2 pick-up.

In the end, I decided that the Prius was not just a bleeding edge hybrid, but it was a pretty darn good car overall.

I probably would not have bought it if it wasn't a hybrid, but am reassured by the fact that when the honeymoon is over, it seems like it would hold its own versus the Passat, A4, Camry, Accord, and the like.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recommend the Pine Mica. It is like silver but has some green to make it different. I'm ordering a silver but only because I have a Volvo Cross Country (that I am keeping) that is in a color similar to the Pine Mica, and I didn't want to have two cars of the same color.

·
Registered
581 Posts
We wanted Driftwood, settled for Silver. Got the car and package we wanted (second color choice) and only 'waited' 45minutes vice 6 months :wink:

hmm, anyone repainted a Prius in a non-standard color?

·
Registered
171 Posts
So many people suffer from "paralysis by analysis"...by the time Jan '07 comes around, there will be neater things in '08?

Kind of like people who STILL don't have a computer because there is always something better/cheaper next month!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have yet to see a Prius with a custom interference paint job...others may refer to it as a "color-flip", "trick paint" or "chameleon/ Kameleon".

If you are looking to turn heads, this may be an option for you, and since most of these have a black or dark blue base coat anyway...go for the black. A good paint shop should be able to strip the clear coat and go from there. DON'T pay more than 4 Gs for it. Yes, it's pricey, but if it's a personal expression of individuality (which a lot of people use their autos for, anyway) it may be worth it to you. The Prius is quite the shapely car, anyway...perhaps a cobalt blue/ deep purple/ metallic green chameleon job would be fun. 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts