Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 1800 mi one way trip to Ca and back and want to share some observations.
the good
Got great gas milage average 46 mi per gaL AT 73 TO 78 Mph
up the rockies got about 46MPG down the other side about 56MPG.
had the wife and two dogs had to stop about every 200 mi just to let them and me streach, car can out last me would have been nice to have my old Camry power seat. .

the bad
couldn't bellieve no Pris all the way out and back and the trucks were unbeilvabe never seen so many and they acted like this was their road and any one else should get out of the way.

the ugly
Knew when we left would need a 10000 mi check when we were out there so made an appointment with the local dealer in Bakersfield to get it done. Told him that it was a little early (about 500 mi) but since we would go over on the way back would he do the check and reset the maintance req. light
picked up the car in less then1 hr and went to the daughters house to make sure they didn't over fill glad I did as the dipstick was not in but just resting in the tube, made me wonder if htere was any thing else that got screwed up, there was 200 miles out of Bakersfield the maint req light started blinking and another 300 miles is now burning steady. will now have to drive 60 miles to the local dealer and have him reset the light as it is annoying.
Did see thje snowflake light come on a couple of times it got cold in the mountians

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Ecogeek said:
what's the snowflake light for?
It lets you know that the outside temperature is down to 37 degrees and that freezing on the road can occur. If you live in a northern climate, it will probably be on all winter. You just have to get use to it. I think it goes off when the temperature gets up to 39.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cool. I read in the owner's manual about it coming on at under 37degrees, I just couldn't figure out why they would put that on there. thanks for clarifying that! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I might have to do that. I'm not sure how much of that I'll get here as this will be my first winter here, so who knows.

·
Registered
420 Posts
hyperion said:
Most people who live in the northern climes and know when it is cold and don't like to look at a distracting warning light, especially at night use the electrical tape "mod." Cut out a small circle of black plastic tape and apply it over the "sno-flake." No matter the comments, you will also, after a week of night driving!
Hyp, do you seriously expect drivers who aren't distracted by a flashing fuel gauge pip (!!!) to be distracted by a snowflake?

Actually, the flake has never bothered me, but then again, I'm phenomenally unobservant. (Just ask my wife! :) )

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hope you didn't ask for a "10K maintenance" package. All you really need is an oil change and tire rotation, and some inspections. The packages are inflated with unneccesary stuff and stuff that can't be done with your car but you still pay for. That's why the pre-paid maintenance is overpriced and not worth it for the Prius.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
On the long list that MRV posted for all maintance recommended for all checks up to 100,000 miles I cut out the paragraph relating for the check my car is going in for. They all start out with the lube and tire rotation and then about 6 things to do if car has been driving in abnormal conditions. These are listed after boxes for identification. At my 10,000 mile check I blackened in the boxes asking for a brake check along with the tire rotation and they pulled the drums and air blew out the dust. Also checked all the rubber coverings on the axles. I gave the service manager this slip along with the written instructions about the importance of the correct tire pressures. (35/33) When you mention 26 can cost you 5 mpg in this car they pay a little more attention.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I always tell them to put 3.5 quarts of oil in at oil change, and leave the 1/2 quart leftover bottle in the car.

I always ask to see all parts that they remove from my car, so that I can inspect them for unusual wear and tear. This ensures that they remove the old parts. That's no guarantee that they remembered to install the new parts, of course....but at least I know they STARTED the work... :roll:

After my service appointments, I always check the oil and confirm that the "check engine" light isn't flashing, and I look under the hood to make sure that they replaced the oil cap and dipstick.

Everybody should do this. Service departments are notorius for screw-ups.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The only problem I have with doing that is that I'm not sure what unusual wear and tear would be...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts