Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took delivery on our '04 in October '03, and it now has accumulated about 28k with zero problems. Various sources have quoted all sorts of extended warranties, with a spectrum of terms and prices.

Though I will change cars, we intend to keep this car in the family, registered as-is, for many years and more than 100k miles, averaging under 15k/Y.

What is the best of the warranty options for our situation?

Thanks, gurus!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'm biased, however from a service and backing standpoint, a Toyota warranty is basically the only way I think you should go. There are lots of companies out there that offer third party service contracts, however you have to file for reimbursement, they dealer will not bill for you, should you need to make a service claim, and on top of that those organizations may not honor special services done to a hybrid which are non-typical for a conventional vehicle.

I would definitely check out the warranty being offered by a dealer who has associated himself with the Priuschat community. I haven't heard anything bad about his Toyota warranty deals.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Except for the SE region, the warranty the dealers offer are from Toyota themselves.
In the SE region, the distributor chose a third party for the contract. I believe all the dealers in the SE region are using this same company, so it SHOULD be OK.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is that there are several types of Toyota warranties (combinations of years/miles/deductible), and multiple sources for each.

Assuming a car with under 30k miles that's under 2Y old, which we'll keep in the family for another 6-7 years, which of the various deals makes the most sense --- and from whom? And, of course, what should we expect to pay?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Toyota only offers the Platinum warranty $0 deductible for the Prius. I believe it is available in many different lenght and mileage options, however the best deals are 7/75,000 and 7/100,000. I have the 7/75 because I drive less than 10,000 a year. No need to beef up on the mileage end of a warranty if the clock will run out before then.

No sure about the SE region's offerings. I wasn't even aware they could offer service agreements outside of the Toyota offerings. Still, the Toyota warranty is valid at every Toyota dealer nationwide.

Have you made a decesion yet?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No decision - presumably, with only 28k I can do it any time in the next few months.

The 100k/7Y would absorb the original warranty (instead of being an add-on), so I'd be adding a four year and 64k mile warranty for about $900.

Is that about right?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Well, if you purchase the extended from day one, you get some extra inconvenience reimbursement coverages. I believe there is a lodging and food reimbursement associated with the extended which kicks in as soon as you buy it. So if you buy it from day one, the extended warranty won't really cover your mechanical issues until the factory one expires, however you do get to make expense claims, for unforseen lodging and food and towing that you don't have with the factory warranty. Sure, I suppose that really isn't worth the cost from day 1, of ownership, however that feature is part of the policy.

But your math works with regard to the actual coverage period of the extended. But I stand by my feeling that a Toyota warranty, should you end up using it, will give you less headaches than a non-Toyota warranty.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!!

I have no quarrel with the numbers, or with the idea of buying the warranty from Toyota. But which Toyota dealer? The prices seem to be all over the place.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do a lot of driving. I went ahead and picked up the 60month/100,000 mile package when I signed my life away.

I have a sense of security knowing that any malfunction will be taken care of even if I don't have the money. Always hated asking family members to bail me out of an emergency.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just a thought but wouldn't it make sense to wait until the basic 3/36000 warranty almost runs out before buying the extended warranty? What if, god forbid, the car is totaled or stolen after one year? Will insurance pay for the value of the extended warranty?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course!
My plan is to buy the extended warranty a month or two prior to the end of the basic warranty.

The only questions are source and price.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
hyperion said:
But, the Toyota platinum warranty offered specifically for the Prius is good at any Toyota dealer in the world. Unless you can get as good for remarkably less ($900.00) Then it would seem the platinum is the way to go.
no, the Toyota Extra Care Platinum Plan is only good in the US and Canada.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Please read:
http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html
for more information about the extended warranty, where to buy, what's available, etc. you can wait up to the end of your 3 year/36,000 mile basic new vehicle warranty to purchase, and the max length plan (7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible) can be found at several dealers for $980.)

Note that there are $50 deductible versions, but you might as well pony up the extra $50 for the $0 deductible warranty and not have to worry about it.

MSRP and such can be found at: http://www.toyotafinancial.com/pyv/exte ... prius.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. I just found this site while searching for some information as I prepare to pick up my first Prius this week.

My dealer offered me the pre-paid maintenance package at $670 and I was planning on taking it since that seemed in line with other decent offerings, but his quote on the extended warranty was a little higher than I was hoping for. After reading the suggested info at http://www.vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html I see that one dealer had been offering an even better price on the maintenance $590. As reported on this forum http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=2670

However that post was quite some time ago. I was wondering if anyone recently has dealt with Crown Toyota, KS and if they are still offering the same pricing? Also, has anyone had any problems using maintenance packages purchased from elsewhere (or better yet, specfically from Crown Toyota) at their local dealerships?

Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Extended warranty

My advice is to shop around for the Toyota Platinum Extended Vehicle Warranty. I paid $785.00 for the 7 year/100,000 mile/$0 deductible warranty for my Prius when I purchased it new in June 2005 from Toyota dealer. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That seems like the best of deals, particularly if it's available to customers who did NOT buy the car at that dealer. Who sold it, pray tell?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
That's the exact deal offered to me from my selling dealer and I had no idea that it was a bargained item on the car until I started reading posts about it on this site. Probably by the same dealers who were marking up their MSRP by three to five thousand dollars.
And Michelle, thanks for the info. I never knew that the Toyota Platinum plan was only good at all the Toyota dealers in the U.S. and Canada. I'll keep that in mind. I wonder if they sell it as the "Oil Plan" in Europe.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts