Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 with 25K miles. Every couple of weeks when I push the power button to start the car the dreaded triangle appears along with the check engine light and the brake light. A couple of months ago this happened when I was close to the dealer so I drove into the service department, turned off the car, and got a service technician to look at it. To my dismay, when he powered it up the lights did not appear. So I left. Then it started to happen every couple of weeks and to solve the immediate problem I would drive a couple of miles, power down, power up and the lights would not come on again. I called the dealer and was told the next time it happens bring it in and DO NOT TURN IT OFF! It happened last week and I immediately went to the dealer. They had a technician ready to plug in his analyzer. They kept it overnight and checked it again in the morning. The trouble code of concern turned out to be P0560. He traced the problem to a faulty High Voltage Battery ECU not telling the car to charge the battery. It had to be ordered and was installed yesterday. I hope this solves it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, I hope that fixes your problem.

I, on the other hand, have a slightly more serious problem.

For about a week now, when I turned on the car it had the Maintenance Required light come on. I figured this was just a reminder to take it in to get the oil changed soon (at 9800 miles so just about due for the second oil change). Today when I was driving home, I got on the freeway and soon there was a beep and the dreaded red triangle of impending doom appeared. An icon appeared on the display that said "Problem." Things seemed okay still until I pressed the accelerator and noticed the engine wasn't making sound and I wasn't actually accelerating. Hit the Info screen and realized the engine wasn't working and I was just on battery with about three bars left. Pulled off the nearest exit and found a parking lot, down to two bars now. Called AAA and got a tow to the nearest Toyota dealer, which was closed by that time so I'll have to take care of it tomorrow. I may as well have them also do the 10k scheduled maintenance.

Interesting thing I noticed. The GPS still thinks the car is where I parked and got towed, not where the dealership is. Is it using some kind of memory? I would have thought it would use the GPS signal to find its actual location.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Apparently there was a problem with the software, so they performed an ECU update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
dreaded red triangle of impending doom

8) Why did you call AAA and not Toyoya Roadside Assistance? It is free an came with your vehicle 3years or 36,000.0 miles?

Ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts