Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant give up on the ev thread its like the oil thread on the harley davidson forum. i have a couple of questions. is there a DEFINITE advantage to installing one. review (for the thousnanth time) how it works. lastly does it immediately and instantly void all factory warrnaty consideration??

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
EV is already programmed into the HV computer. To activate EV, you are momentarily grounding an otherwise unused pin on the ECU, as the other international markets have their EV button do. They also have an indicator on the dash showing that they are in EV. We don't have that light available to tap into, though Attila has found that the computers do provide that data on their network.

EV is allowed if the car has not started the engine for its warmup phase, you are under 35 MPH, and you have at least 3 bars on your battery. Cruise control is disabled while actively in EV mode.

It will kick you out of EV if you accelerate too hard, you have drained your battery down to 2 bars, or you have reached or exceeded 35 MPH.

It was speculated that EV was not provided in N.A. because of emissions certifications.

Toyota implies that warranty would be void, but we aren't sure if they are referring to a pluggable mod with added battery capacity, or if they are including simply adding a switch to activate a feature already incorporated into the car. I really doubt Toyota could win a case on this if they did try to deny warranty solely on having an EV switch. They definitly would lose if the otherwise warrantied item is not affected by the EV, such as engine problems, or even a motor/generator problem. They MIGHT have a case with the battery, but even then that would be reaching.

Using the EV might affect your battery life if you routinely use it and drain the battery down to minimum, then charge the battery with ICE to full (or as full as it would normally get, which is 6 bars). This is where Toyota might have a case in denying warranty. You could achieve the same 'abuse' by frequently draining the battery by idling the car in READY mode, running the A/C, and then driving, thus charging the battery to 'full'. This is where Toyota would lose their justification to deny warranty on the battery because of EV.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow dan you are the man. thanks VERY much for the info. ithink ill continue to "think" about it some more

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got 8 years warranty on the hybride engine. I think we should use the EV button as often as possible. That is the real use of the Prius!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you tried a few tanks of gas and calculating the MPG vs using it as often as possible for the same distance and calculating MPG? If there is no benefit then I see no need for the mod at the risk of the batteries. The gas engine has to charge the battery at some point anyways.

Thinking back on it I was not able to engage EV mode (by feathering) in those instances mentioned above so not sure it would affect my MPG. I will have to keep track of when EV would be beneficial but could not get it to engage.

I have learned to feather the petal pretty good so I am routinely at 2-3 bars so I hope this will not reduce my battery life. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
DanMan32 said:
EV is already programmed into the HV computer. To activate EV, you are momentarily grounding an otherwise unused pin on the ECU, as the other international markets have their EV button do. They also have an indicator on the dash showing that they are in EV. We don't have that light available to tap into, though Attila has found that the computers do provide that data on their network.
Dan, before the hacking, there was a post that showed where the EV switch is located on the European models. Since I have a blank plate in that location, I should be able to put the switch there if I can get one from Europe. What pin needs to be grounded?

·
Registered
45 Posts
hyperion said:
I think if you can get ahold of Coastal Dave, his switch fits the hole.
Unless I'm mistaken, I think Coastal Dave's mod uses the cruise control stalk to activate the EV-mode - you hold it in the CANCEL position for two seconds to activate it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
billvon said:
hyperion said:
I think if you can get ahold of Coastal Dave, his switch fits the hole.
Unless I'm mistaken, I think Coastal Dave's mod uses the cruise control stalk to activate the EV-mode - you hold it in the CANCEL position for two seconds to activate it.
Yeah, Coastal's uses the Cruise stalk.

Here's a link to the PDF instructions I used to do my install (I used a small button from an electronics supply store - not an official Toyota EV switch):

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/ev-button-installation-pdf-vt1005.html

Here's a link to what the results of my install yielded:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/2-vt986.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

DGStan

·
Registered
18 Posts
hyperion said:
I think if you can get ahold of Coastal Dave, his switch fits the hole. Otherwise keep your eye on "E" bay. I've seen two go up for auction in the past two months. I believe they went with the wireing and directions in the mid forties. (dollars) Only a couple of bids made.
You can also get the EV switch (along with the pin so you don't have to harvest one from the turn indicator. It isn't listed, but just ask for a pin, part #82998-12690) from japanparts.com. They take a few days to get back to your email, but beyond that, they have been very good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If the EV switch does not by default with the car in US, it is worth getting if. It is one of the best features of the car. If not the best.

·
Registered
154 Posts
hyperion said:
After a few years we should have some idea if more battery packs are being exchanged in EV switch cars vs those without. And as far as best features, I would pick"smart key."
In the Europen version, the only smart thing about is that you don't need to place it into the keylot. Is there something additional in the US version?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
dontcheff said:
hyperion said:
After a few years we should have some idea if more battery packs are being exchanged in EV switch cars vs those without. And as far as best features, I would pick"smart key."
In the Europen version, the only smart thing about is that you don't need to place it into the keylot. Is there something additional in the US version?
The US version can calculate quantum tragjectories... unfortunaly no device exists that can interpret the results.

Ok, really it lets you unlock the doors w/o needing to press the buttons

·
Registered
154 Posts
melgish said:
dontcheff said:
hyperion said:
The US version can calculate quantum tragjectories... unfortunaly no device exists that can interpret the results.

Ok, really it lets you unlock the doors w/o needing to press the buttons
I wonder why the smart key of the European version cannot do that ... Does anybody know?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
With it in your pocket you can do everything you used to have to struggle with a key to do. Lock and unlock, arm and disarm theft system, start and stop power. Arm electrics for radio and window operation Ect: Just with it in your "pocket" Last thing I would have ordered but now couldn't do without it. Notice it has gravitated to the Lexas and GM's premium cars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
dontcheff said:

I wonder why the smart key of the European version cannot do that ... Does anybody know?
Sounds like your car is faulty, dontcheff. If you don't need to put it in the slot to start it, then you've got the smart key system (also indicated by a silver Toyota badge on the key rather than black).

That means you shouldn't need to unlock the car manually, it should unlock itself when you touch the door handle, and you lock it by pressing the button on the handle.

This works the same in Europe as the US, if you have it fitted, and it's all described in the manual. We don't have the option in the UK and Ireland though - I guess it may be due to incompatibility with our double-locking.

If the car won't unlock automatically, go visit your dealer.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
KMO said:
We don't have the option in the UK and Ireland though - I guess it may be due to incompatibility with our double-locking.
What's double locking? Belt AND suspenders? Shoelaces AND velcro? Padlocks on inside and outside?

Inquiring minds...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also known as dead-locking. When double-locked, the doors cannot be unlocked from the inside, so smashing the window to reach the inside switches won't get you anywhere. The inside switches are isolated from the locks.

You activate it by pressing the lock button on the fob twice.

They obviously think we have more car crime in the UK, because unlike the rest of Europe, we get a perimeter alarm, microwave interior motion sensor and double locking as standard.

·
Registered
154 Posts
KMO said:
dontcheff said:

Sounds like your car is faulty, dontcheff. If you don't need to put it in the slot to start it, then you've got the smart key system (also indicated by a silver Toyota badge on the key rather than black).

That means you shouldn't need to unlock the car manually, it should unlock itself when you touch the door handle, and you lock it by pressing the button on the handle.

This works the same in Europe as the US, if you have it fitted, and it's all described in the manual. We don't have the option in the UK and Ireland though - I guess it may be due to incompatibility with our double-locking.

If the car won't unlock automatically, go visit your dealer.
Well, thanks for the tip! I just went outside and tried to open the car (with the SK in my pocket). It did open :) Even the Toyota dealer here didn't know that...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts