Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car doesn't fit in the VIN range for the fuel guage TSB. Still when that last pip starts its little dance, and I promptly stop to fill, I can only put in about 8 gallons. Now, do I assume I still have a couple gallons in there and I can go another 80 miles safely or is the fuel pump shutting off prematurely and I'm not getting a complete fill? What do you think?

:?:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spencer said:
Try filling more slowly.
Hard as it is in Minnesota this time of year, I put it on the slowest setting, and I do get all the pips after the fill.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gauge

Hep, I'm in the same boat as you, my car has a later VIN. When I hit the last pip then drive another 10 to 30 miles (not blinking yet) I can only put in 8.6 gallons max. I fill my tank up verrrrrrrrrryyyyy slowly so it's not that. I live in Southern California so it's not the bladder being cold and not stretching properly.

I've had the same question as you too. Can I drive 42.4 mpg X 12 gallons??? (ya, 42.4 mpg with 42/40 in my tires. i got the same mileage with the tires filled to factory specs) Or am I SOL shortly after the pip starts to blink.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I'd be careful filling the tank at a slow speed. Too likely to have the tank belch gasoline back at you when you remove the gas nozzle, and all those unburnt hydrocarbons are really bad for the local air quality. You're even more at risk if you try filling after the automatic shut-off. (You really shouldn't "top-off" after the nozzle auto-shut-off, on any car...)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mrv said:
I'd be careful filling the tank at a slow speed. Too likely to have the tank belch gasoline back at you when you remove the gas nozzle, and all those unburnt hydrocarbons are really bad for the local air quality. You're even more at risk if you try filling after the automatic shut-off. (You really shouldn't "top-off" after the nozzle auto-shut-off, on any car...)
I've never had a "belch" and never try to top it off after the shut off. I've been good. :)

I think I'm just a bit of a chicken in regards to driving with the last pip blinking.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gauge

Never had a belch and usually only give it a click or two to be sure I'm topped off.

Too fast...too slow. Can anybody tell me why I can only get 8.6 gallons in. AND can I drive another 3 gallons X 42.4 mpg= 127.2 miles or am I out of business shortly after a blinking pip?

I'd bring it to the dealer but when I called, the Prius mechanic didn't even know about the TSB.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm tempted to get a one gallon can of gas, and drive until I run out, just to see how many miles I can drive on a blinker. :?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hep said:
I'm tempted to get a one gallon can of gas, and drive until I run out, just to see how many miles I can drive on a blinker. :?
I don't know how serious you are about that, but I'm sure many Prius Owners would certainly appreciate the knowledge. :D

For the books, I filled up my PII for the first time the other day. I was on the last "pip" (what the heck does pip stand for anyway? :roll: ) and it was NOT blinking yet. The car took 9.3 gallons before the auto shut-off clicked. That amounted to 48.0 mpg average on the first tank. (447mi/9.3gal)

·
Registered
73 Posts
belching

The only time I've had it spit/belch at me in 12,000km was the first fill wherein I had been gifted with a free fill by the sales manager at Metro Toyota, Victoria, BC because the business manager had goofed in promising something the dealership could not deliver. I wanted to get every dime out of that voucher so I got to wear some gas. :oops:

However, northern British Columbia has a lot of highway and not a lot of gas stations so I have been in a position of having the last pip start to go and have kept driving over 100km/60miles at highway speed. When the gas station appeared and the attendant pumped she was able to get 41.81 litres in out of a possible 45 without taking special precautions or spilling any gas.

So if you can do the math on how much 3.19 litres is in US gallons you'll have some kind of answer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts