Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what purpose the beeping serves when the Prius is in reverse? I can see if it was audible to those outside to warn them you are backing up, but I see no need for Toyota to remind me I'm backing up when I just put the vehicle in reverse.

Are there sensors on the back that cause the beeping to get louder as you approach an object? If so, I can then see the use of the beep.

Thanks.

Ken

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Anyone else hear beeping in reverse? :?: I don't know what Ken's talking about. Never saw the issue raised here before... I'm sure if anyone had heard the beeping, there would be a post about it on here.

Maybe it's unique to Ken's car...
:wink:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sanny said:
Anyone else hear beeping in reverse? :?: I don't know what Ken's talking about. Never saw the issue raised here before... I'm sure if anyone had heard the beeping, there would be a post about it on here.

Maybe it's unique to Ken's car...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Ken it actually only beeps if you have engaged the time shift and are backing up in time. You don't want to go back too far or you could change everything, so they put in the beep to warn you.

You do know the beep can be turned off?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ken it actually only beeps if you have engaged the time shift
I got up to 10 mph in reverse one morning..beeper beeping away. I was suddenly enveloped in a fog bank and woke up somewhere in Nebraska in 1942. Try to avoid that (unless you live somewhere in Nebraska)
I have since silenced the reverse beeper and Time Shift generator and have had no repeat adventures. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hep said:
Ken it actually only beeps if you have engaged the time shift and are backing up in time. You don't want to go back too far or you could change everything, so they put in the beep to warn you.

You do know the beep can be turned off?
Alright, excuse my ignorance here -- we only rented the Prius for a weekend. What the heck is "time shift?" And how do you turn off the beep?

Thanks

Ken

·
Registered
457 Posts
Alright, excuse my ignorance here -- we only rented the Prius for a weekend. What the heck is "time shift?" And how do you turn off the beep? `
Sorry bout that Ken.. we occasionally get carried away with Prius humor.
"Time Shift" is just Star Wars kinda stuff... And it is NOT TRUE that you have to walk around the car clockwise twice for the following to work:
How do I turn off that annoying beeping in reverse?
1. Power on (not necessarily ready, IG-ON will do).
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO (if it's already set to ODO, you still have to cycle through the options: ODO, Trip A, Trip B, and back to ODO).
3. Power off.
4. Power on to READY (parking brake on).
5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then back to P. Now release ODO.
7. You'll see in the trip display "b on" or "b off".
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JDavies said:
Alright, excuse my ignorance here -- we only rented the Prius for a weekend. What the heck is "time shift?" And how do you turn off the beep? `
Sorry bout that Ken.. we occasionally get carried away with Prius humor.
"Time Shift" is just Star Wars kinda stuff... And it is NOT TRUE that you have to walk around the car clockwise twice for the following to work:
2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO (if it's already set to ODO, you still have to cycle through the options: ODO, Trip A, Trip B, and back to ODO).
3. Power off.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then back to P. Now release ODO.
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.
:lol: Ok....joke's on me. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Now to seriously answer the other question: why the beep.
I suppose it is because the shifter is so unusual for most people, that they may confuse R for D. I know I have on occasion thought I was in one, when I was in the other. With the beep, you know you are in R, even if you meant D.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DanMan32 said:
Now to seriously answer the other question: why the beep.
I suppose it is because the shifter is so unusual for most people, that they may confuse R for D. I know I have on occasion thought I was in one, when I was in the other. With the beep, you know you are in R, even if you meant D.
That makes sense.

Ken

·
Registered
126 Posts
3. Power off.
8. Press ODO to toggle.
9. Now power off.
Where in the world do you guys get all this secret information???? I'm buying a new Prius, but I would sincerely love to join the member's-only club that is the keeper of all this esoteric, arcane knowledge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Now that the annoyingly annoying reverse beep has been brought up yet again...
I found a reversing beeper brake light bulb at Canadian Tire (and other austo suppliers).

It simply plugs in to the brake light socket, gives off light, and beeps at the same time.

Only problem is - cost is $29. A little too much for me to experiment and see if my 'cunning plan' of disabling the dashboard beep and using only an external beep works.

Have fun!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The instructions to stop the beep is in the repair manual. The speed defeat (which doesn't seem to work for 2006) I think someone found in the Lexus repair manual.

A few other things were in various manuals and passed by word of mouth.

Enabling EV I think was a collaboration effort with those in other national markets that had tech manuals. They told us where the EV switch connected to, someone here in the states I suppose tried it and it worked. That was before my time, I got it from word of mouth.

There's a lot more technical collaboration to develop mods on PriusChat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would think that those with NAV would not have the beep, as I don't see how you could forget you are in reverse with the camera on =D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts