Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so have all of you test driven the prius before you bought it.
I can't seem to find a dealership with one available for a test drive.
although, downtown toyota in oakland told me to come down to test drive one, but when I got there they said "well, we don't have one to test drive but let's talk numbers." nice huh?

thanks!
jason

(on a waiting list)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I called Carson Toyota in Southern California right before going to test drive, and they did have one available. You can also rent it for (I think) fifty bucks a day, but not on weekends when they really want it there for the test drives.

Test drove, ordered the same day.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My dealer in Olympia WA had one to drive. I can only quote my son "sweet". Some dealers have them some don't. I would tend to trust a dealer that has a car to drive and MRSP policy. I wonder about small dealerships in remote areas with out a "driver" this may be a function of small number of cars. I had another dealer tell me about a local Enterprise lot that had Prii for rent.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When I started looking for mine, Cerritos Toyota (At the Cerritos Auto Square) informed me that they were keeping one "STRICTLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF TEST DRIVES" The guy that test drove right in front of me even offered $30k for it and they declined. Among other things it was white (although BC) and had over 10,000 miles on it. This was even back in October before the waits started getting CRAZY. So although I didn't buy from that dealership I was able to test drive. Bit of a drive from Oakland, but if you have ANY reason to come to LA or Orange counties, it may be worth it. (Be sure to call first though and make sure they still have it (or another one)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello all,

I expect to take delivery on my '04 tideland option 9 prius next week, and I have yet to drive one. I've wanted a Prius since I first heard about them, which was around two years ago. I didn't have the funds to jump right on it, but I knew as soon as the 2004 models were announced that I was going to have to get one. Little did I know that hybrids in general would catch on so rapidly, but I'm so glad that they have.

I house sat for this guy from November '03 to February '04, and during that whole time there was a brand new '04 driftwood sitting beside his mercedes SUV in the garage. Apparently he bought his son (16 and without a license yet) the Prius as a birthday gift. There was a scribbled birthday card (written on a paper floor mat from the dealer) left on the dash. I couldn't believe the kid (who lived with his mom) didn't come immediately to pick it up. It drove me insane. Needless to say I sat in it a few times, looked at the interior and the NAV, but never started it up.

The dealer that I'm using, Marina Del Rey, CA, has a driftwood '04 test drive car on their lot, but I haven't had the time to get over there. I told my internet sales rep that I had yet to drive one, but I'm dead set on getting it. His reply, "they drive like a normal car." Bah! There's nothing normal about it. Can't wait.

*edit* I should mention I put my name on their list late February '04 and was told 60-90 days (snicker). My first choice was a silver 9. I was offered a white 9 over a month ago for a premium. I replied that I was holding out for my color and MSRP. I expected to have one by now, so I called the sales rep last week to see where I stood. He said the silver was really popular in the area and they hadn't been getting many. I told him I'd budge on the color. He called back with the tideland 9 coming in two weeks. I've since grown to prefer the tideland over the silver so I'm very pleased.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was lucky to drive a rental through Enterprise for a couple of days. I guess if you really want to drive one, you could always check them out. Of course they are the base model without any packages. I really like the way it drove, now if I would only get mine in. Millenium Silver #7.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
enterprise

as a matter of fact, I'm renting one right now and loving it.
it's a great way to really give it a proper test drive.
j

·
Registered
87 Posts
Test Drive

I drove a 2004 Prius for the first time yesterday! Big Two Toyota in Mesa has one just for test drives. They then try to sell you a Corola. But it was worth it. I think I'll stay on the list!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
In Orlando, the Toyota dealership on South Orange Blossom Trail used to have two just for renting. If you ended up getting on the list, and buying from them, they would knock the rental cost off the price of your new Prius...or so they said. They seemed to be straight-shooters.

Don't know if they still do this, but if you're near Orlando, and want to test drive one, it might be worth a call.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I test drove the 2003 before I bought it; while I was prepared to buy it the same day, I hadn't planned it that way - just happened. :) Bought the 2004 "sight unseen" (in person, that is). Long story; short version: we needed (read as: wanted) to get rid of my wife's car, so I got the 2004 and she took over the 2003.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Prius Rental

Power Toyota in Buena Park, California has several Prius's available for rental. I rented one for a week before I placed my order. 5 months and 1 week and still waiting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts