Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird one...

A few days ago, I started up my car ('04 Package 9 with 26k miles, XM, and Coastal door lock & EV mods), and a few minutes into my drive, I noticed that I had no radio volume control, either from the steering wheel buttons or from the rotary encoder (sorry - "knob") on the face of the radio. Also, I had no beeps when switching between MFD screens. (This I actually considered an improvement...)

When I rebooted the car at a stoplight, the problem went away, and it hasn't happened since.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
515 Posts
That older Multi-Display (also used in Highlander & Land Cruiser) had a bug that would eventually surface in way similar to what you described.

TSB EL002-05 is what you'll want to have the dealer look up for the fix (actually just a free replacement with a newer model).

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. So far, it's only happened once. From your knowledge of the issue (assuming it is indeed the same issue), can I expect it to start happening more frequently? What if I can't reproduce it for the dealer service guy before the basic warranty period expires? Will the TSB be addressed once I'm past the warranty period?

·
Registered
515 Posts
If it was actually that problem, the behavior would become cronic and worse. So identifying it is pretty simple, especially with the few error messages that you'd end up seeing.

If weirdness only happened once, it was likely just a fluke and nothing needs replacement.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
First, clarification of symptoms: Were you just not getting any sound, or you also could not do any controlling of the radio (no change indicated on the MFD)?

What radio system do you have, JBL or stock? If JBL, and all you lost was the sound (could still change stations and change volume, even if you couldn't hear it) then the JBL amp probably glitched. Happened to me once too.
If stock, then there was a glitch in the head unit, especially if you could control the sound source, but not hear it, but still possible if you could not control the sound source.

The MFD problem would probably other issues, like control of AC from the MFD, loss of consumption/energy screen data, etc. Usually occurs when the MFD was very cold.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JBL system. (with Coastal XM kit)

I had sound, and could change channels and inputs, but I just couldn't raise or lower the volume level from the steering wheel buttons or the volume knob.

The only MFD issue was loss of beeps when toggling between screens. As stated previously, I would regard this as an improvement, if it weren't a possible harbinger of more dire symptoms.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sounds like the JBL amp hung. Happened to me once. Went to do something with the radio, heard a loud brief squeal then nothing; no sound. Restarted the car at a light, and the sound returned to normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
temporary loss of volume control on radio etc

I have been a loyal Prius owner since 2002. This is my second Prius (currently an '05) . I have 33,000 miles on it. I just took it to my dealter today with the exact same problem for the second time. The radio controls intermittently cut in and out, the GPS is intermittantly frozen, the information screen freezes up or doesnt display, and I occasionally get a message saying external monitor is not present. The service people told me today that they must replace the entire navigation system. There is apparently a technical bulletin out there explaining this, but it is not technically a recall. I'm really glad it's still barely under warranty, but I'm nervous about this car right now because I also had an amplifier replaced 5 weeks ago. In this case, the car failed to start, and the dummy lights on the dash flashed back and forth. The car had to be towed in. Apparently, an amplifier does something within the electrical system and the misfiring of it drains the battery. I'm wondering if my problems are over or just beginning.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
They may not have connected the amplifier good. If the connector came loose, then the AVC network could have problems. The AVC network allows the display, the navigation system, the radio head unit, the amp and the gateway to talk to each other. The display will look for the AC ECU through the gateway over the AVC.

I really doubt its the navigation ECU, but it could be the display module, which a tech writer might call the navigation system to be simple.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Temporary loss of volume control

You are correct. It is the display module that they are replacing. I had taken it to another dealer on an emergency basis a week ago and they checked and tightened the connector, but the "fix" didn't hold, so my regular dealer is ordering the replacement part. I thought it was strange that the display module problems occurred so soon after replacement of the amplifier, but they swear it has nothing to do with the amplifier repair. Are they just covering themselves? Hmmmm.

DanMan32 said:
They may not have connected the amplifier good. If the connector came loose, then the AVC network could have problems. The AVC network allows the display, the navigation system, the radio head unit, the amp and the gateway to talk to each other. The display will look for the AC ECU through the gateway over the AVC.

I really doubt its the navigation ECU, but it could be the display module, which a tech writer might call the navigation system to be simple.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
We'll soon see if the problem continues when it is replaced. But then, they could check/tighten the amp connections as they replace the MFD to cover their bases.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 002-05.zip

or

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11053 ... index.html

To quote US TSB EL002-05:

Some customers may experience various malfunctions occuring in the multi-display. Some examples are:
* "Audio off" is shown on audio screen while the audio system is
playing.
* Climate control is not responsive and may say "Check connection of
the air conditioner."
* Map, Destination buttons are inoperative and may display "External
system not connected."
* When pressing any button on the multi-display, the system takes 5
to 10 seconds to respond to the user's input.
* Outside air temperature not displayed.

Prior reports on various Prius boards have noted other Classic Prius' Newarkitis symptoms: no charge on the battery icon, no arrow flows on the Energy Monitor, a "stuck" Consumption screen showing many consecutive 100MPG (or 0 l/100km) segments even with the engine running at idle... It will occur randomly at first, but will get progressively worse. It's only covered for the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, so be careful if you're going past on mileage as it could be very expensive... Car is fully driveable, but it's mostly an annoyance. A reboot may temporarily fix the problem. Problem has been reported on US, Canadian, and Australian Prius
so far that I've noted, I don't recall one way or the other on the
European/UK lists... Here's some photos taken by an Australian Prius owner of what's occuring: http://www.trufit.com.au/Prius/ScreenUnitFailure/

The car is safe to drive while waiting for the part (usually on backorder these days). Usually the buttons on the steering wheel work best when trying to change things and the display is acting up.

The good thing is that if you have a pre-April 2004 Prius with the navigation system, the new display will change the Info button on the steering wheel to toggle between the Energy Screen and the Consumption Monitor.

I have seen a few people post on the Prius-2G yahoogroup and on priusonline.com that they went past 36,000 miles, no extended warranty, and had to replace the MFD. New MFD is about US$3000. Many of these people politely argued with their dealer (and even escalated to the Toyota Customer Assistance toll-free number) that this is not a part that is mileage dependent, and is known to fail, so they should have some help in replacing it. Typically they'll then get charged the price of the replacement MFD through the TSB (a refurbished unit, about US$450), and may or may not get free labor, instead of the brand new price with labor.

as for the amp issue:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 001-05.zip

or

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/11244 ... index.html

US TSB AU001-05. August 2, 2005. Parasitic draw from JBL amplifier. 2004-2005 Prius and other Toyotas. Some owners may hear a POP noise when turning the ignition on or off, because the amplifier remains on even though the car is off (which may result in a dead 12v battery after an extended cold soak.) Replace with updated JBL amplifier.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Both the amp and display issues were for the 2004, not the classic.
So far in this thread it has only been the NHW20 that has been mentioned, and both of the TSBs I have previously listed (for the amp and the display issues) has been for the 2004-2005 Prius.

However, some of the display issues on the 2004 Prius are very similar to a known issue on the Classic Prius that is called "Newarkitis" on these groups. For the Classic Prius, if the radio isn't hooked up properly (most commonly the wrong side of a Y-connector plugged into a CD player or changer), the no temperature display, and frozen Energy Monitor or Consumption screen are tell-tale signs of the problem. (The only symptom of Classic Newarkitis that will always occur, and isn't intermittant, is that the cassette tape eject button doesn't work.)

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 013-00.pdf

US TSB EL013-00
Aug. 2, 2002, Navigation, Energy Monitor, Consumption, & Cassette Eject Malfunction, 2001-2002 Prius. (aka: Newarkitis - CD player harness improperly installed leading to display errors and non-ejecting tape player)

The problem was nicknamed "Newarkitis" because of a Fall 2000 shipment of early 2001 Prius that all came through the port of Newark, NJ. CD players for Classic Prius was a port-installed option, and this entire shipment that had the CD players installed all had them installed backwards, causing a batch of display issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Joining the club

I've been going through this too. Unfortunately, we drive the heck out of the car and have 60k miles on it already. Good to know about "negotiating" with the dealer - maybe I won't get fleeced for this.

I will say - the car still operates the same. Same MPG, AC still works etc. The radio will turn itself off every once in a while though - that can be annoying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts