Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never figured this one out. How come when the temp gets to 37 degrees there's a messege that appears on the monitor and states "Outside Temp 37" What is the purpose of this messege? And is there a way to turn it off?

·
Registered
60 Posts
That depends on where you live. Here in San Diego we seldom see 37 degree, or lower, days. So we aren't affected by the fact that black ice can start forming on roads at about 37 degrees, especially if there is wind involved. The 37 degree warning is to alert you tho the fact you might want to slow down and start looking for ice on the road. If you live in the ice belt, I don't think I would want to disable warning system 8)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hawqis1 said:
I never figured this one out. How come when the temp gets to 37 degrees there's a messege that appears on the monitor and states "Outside Temp 37" What is the purpose of this messege? And is there a way to turn it off?
No it can't be disabled by you. Global climate change will eventually take care of the problem. 04 and 05 models also put a yellow warning light on the dash that is even more annoying.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you were to drive through the Carolinas, you'll find signs indicating that bridges freeze before the main road does. That's pretty much what that warning is stating: you may encounter icy driving conditions even when the main road cannot ice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad I understand now what that messege means. Good thing I don't see a yellow light for it. I would think that warning should come around 33-35 degrees. Yes I live in NY in the Lake effect region. Despite the really warm winter, some days it has gone youcky and cold. I forgot bridges freeze faster than roads. I thought the 37 degree temp messege was for the car's performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.