Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Garmin Street Pilot navigation system. ( http.garmin.com ). It has the advantage of being moveable from car to car. Merely plug it in to your cigarette lighter and its good to go.

I purchased a Prius, Package 9 which, includes a Global Positioning System [GPS.] The Garmin system is absolutely accurate and brings you right to your destination.

Since all GPS system rely on triangulation eg., their ability to access three different satellites to determine your exact position on the planet as well as the position of your destination you should be delivered to your destination without error. The Prius system takes you within a block or two away from your destination. Not good!

Toyota is aware of the problem and will be providing a GPS system update in the future, hopefully the near future. I suggest that you call the Toyota customer service line and register you complaint about the inaccuracy of their GPS software. They will give you a case number and notify you when the new update is available.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
515 Posts
If there is a problem, it is isolated. Most likely, it is certain areas of the country, perhaps terrain/altitude related.

My GPS is always within a few feet of the location here in Minnesota.

And we had a sound off awhile back. Quite a few others chimed in saying there's is precise too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm not sure if it's an isolated problem. i used the GPS to get to my dentist, and the system told me to take a LEFT when i should've taken a RIGHT. the GPS system thought the address i had entered was about 2000 address #'s north of where it actually was (thus, making me PAINFULLY late for my appointment). (this was in northern VA)

keenly aware of the previous issue, the next time i tried to rely on the GPS was for a park located inside the city limits of Philadelphia, but in the suburbs. The mark on the map was significantly further away from where the park actually was, however thankfully this time i supplemented the GPS with written directions.

overall, i have been less than pleased with the 2004 GPS system. i have had strange driving recommendations (get off at an exit only to get back on again) more than once.

don't get me wrong, i still love the car. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I don't know about the Prius (yet) however I have been using a iQue for almost a year and there are odities about the map data. For instance I live on a Loop and the street numbers are backwords ie from east to west they have been reversed in the data base. I am near one end of the loop and the database showes me to be on the other and the other side of the street. I have read that there are actually only 3 companies to make these databases and they then sell them to map makers. You may have seen one of their vans traveling around collecting GPS and map data. I have found several other odd things as well. On the whole it gets you there 99% of the time but not all the time. Garmin has a way to report these so they can be fixed in the next update.
Henry Drygas

·
Registered
13 Posts
accurate

Mine is very accurate.

I went to a wedding reception at a country club in the middle of nowhere, southeast of Kankakee (IL). Not only did the NAV bring me there without any problems, it anounced "destination ahead" AFTER I travelled about halfway down the long driveway.

About 2 years ago the village took a 2-way street and made 2 blocks in front of a school 1-way. When I approach the 1-way from the wrong direction, I get warned not to travel forward. I live in a tiny farm town, I am impressed that this 2 block stretch of 1-way made it on to the DVD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents worth, mine is also just slightly inaccurate. But I guess I'm not complaining.

I would say it's maybe 50 - 100 ft off on a specific address, something like that. Not usually a problem, but more like an annoyance.

Anyone know the phone number of that Toyota complaint line that someone mentioned earlier? I can't seem to find that.[/i]

·
Registered
319 Posts
I really don't have problems with my Nav. I have only had one and that was when I was on my way to the Prius Meet at Fuddruckers. It took me a 1/2 mile down the road to make a U-Turn. But other than that, it is great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Toyota is aware of the problem and will be providing a GPS system update in the future, hopefully the near future. I suggest that you call the Toyota customer service line and register you complaint about the inaccuracy of their GPS software. They will give you a case number and notify you when the new update is available.

Arizona Charlie[/quote]

Do you have the customer service line? My inlaws' Lexus and my prius have the same nav problem. there is no reason why Toyota nav has to be so inaccurate, especially when it cost over $3000!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts