Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tax credit is only available one time per individual right? Would it be possible to get the $2,000 tax deduction for buying a Prius this year AND get the $3,100 tax credit for buying one next year?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's one per car, but only for individuals (non business use). You could buy all of them and get a deduction for each this year.

Next year it becomes a credit, but only for the first 60k units per manufacturer.

Either only applies to new cars, hence the one per car. This is also a 3 year commitment, and you will be prorated if you sell it earlier than that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any ideas on how the tax credit will be "given" in '06? Maybe include sales receipt to show your purchase date (before the 60,000 mark was reached)?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think the 'commitment' is referring to the eligibility of the car for the credit, though the wording is vauge.

The credit is applied to your filing for your 2006 income tax, sometime between 1/1/2007 and 4/15/2007. The credit expires at a fixed time after 60K vehicles have been reached. The time is based on quarters so the dates you have to worry about are 1/1, 4/1, 7/1, and 10/1. If Toyota sells 60K hybrids on 5/10/2006, you have until 9/30/2006 to take delivery before the credit is reduced, as the 'grace quarter' runs from 7/1 to 9/30. I am sure we'll hear all about it when a manufacturer reaches their quota, and then we'll know when the cars need to be purchased.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is possible that you are the 70000th person who get a Prius and still get FULL tax credit, if your car is purchased in the same quarter as 60000th or the quarter after.

60k is just a trigger to the phase out period. I've asked the same question before and the reply was that once 60k hybrid cars have been sold by a manufacture, phase out period starts, which is the 2nd calendar quarter after that magic number has been reached. Personally, this sounds like a fair rule. Otherwise, how would you prove that you are one of 1st 60k people? And West coast guys would have disadvantage compare to east coast guys since dealerships open 3 or 5 hrs early for people to buy cars in the east. :)

Look around at about.com. There's an article that tells you the calculation and how the rule is interpreted.

Since I'm no lawyer or accountant, don't sue me if what I mentioned in here is incorrect.

·
Registered
581 Posts
GreyMud said:
This is also a 3 year commitment, and you will be prorated if you sell it earlier than that.
As I read this, the 3 year rule only applies to business write-offs, not individual, private vehicle ownership.

IRS.GOV is no help on this point as of yet; I am basing this on the 2005 version of the Pub 535 and schedule 173.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts