Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: :?: I was under the impression from reading the forums that the Prius was eligible for a federal tax credit- $1k this year, as I recalled. Now that I've purchased two, I contacted my accountant about the credits.

She says the Prius is NOT eligible for a tax credit, but IS eligible for a "clean fuel vehicle deduction" which reduces adjusted gross income.

Is there an accountant or tax person out there who can clarify the situation, preferably with references I can point my accountant toward? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your accountant is correct. The Federal amount is a deduction from adjusted gross income. It is NOT a credit, which reduces your tax dollar for dollar. As a result, the $1,500 deduction will reduce your taxes by about $400, depending on your tax bracket. If it goes back up to $2,000, your Federal Income tax will be reduced by about $500, again depending on your tax bracket.

Information on the deduction is available on Toyota's web site and the IRS's web site.

Some states do allow a tax credit, which you claim on your state tax return, but not all states have this. Since I don't know what state you are in, I can't tell you whether your state has a credit or not. I know that Oregon and Conneticut do, but I am not sure which other states also have a tax credit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts