Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the use of synthetic oil with a change rate of 25,000 miles is compatible with oil filter change rates? Some oil filters are said, so I have been told, to be changed every 5-7,000 miles. It would seem logical to me that if synthetic oil is changed every 25,000 miles the standard filters would be able to handle that. Comments and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
I cannot answer your question about the filters. I'd just like to point out that Toyota says that even if you use synthetic oil, you still need to change your oil every 5,000 miles. Failing to follow that advice could void your warranty. It hardly seems worth it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Consumer Reports did a test on motor oils years ago. There was a lot of analysis, but the end conclusion was that synthetic oils were no better than most regular motor oils when used in an automobile. They said that it was better to change your oil and filter per the auto manufacturer's schedule than to extend the interval and use higher priced synthetic oil. Also, the oil filters clog up. Once their clogged, the oil bypasses the filter element, which just circulates the dirt. It's much cheaper and better for your car to use regular oil and change it more often.

Synthetics last longer in jet turbine engines and exotic high performance racing engines, but they do nothing for normal cars.

The best oils were not a big surprise: Valvoline, Quaker State and Pennzoil. Skip the additives, and NEVER USE RECYCLED OIL OR HAVOLINE! They didn't even recommend putting Havoline in your lawn mower.

·
Registered
515 Posts
By changing the synthetic oil & filter every 25,000 miles, all you are saving is $90.

Is that worth risking engine damage or your WARRANTY on a vehicle that cost over $20,000?

And of course, you are overlooking the MPG loss. Even though the oil may physically last that long just fine, it definitely won't remain as thin as it was originally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The oil currently put in when Toyota ships from a factory is 5W-20 of partial synthetic oil.
The 2001 model handling description is to be able to use 5W-30 of partial synthetic oil and 10W-30 of normal oil. And also 5W-20 are written that it is the best for fuel economy.
The synthetic oil of 0W-20 is added to the handling description of 2004 model.

I think that the soft oil like xW-20 is good for fuel economy than little hard xW-30.

I am changing 0W-20 and NNL690 every about 7000 miles. The oil filter is changed once for twice of change of the oil.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
USK said:
I am changing 0W-20 and NNL690 every about 7000 miles. The oil filter is changed once for twice of change of the oil.
How do you do that without spilling oil?

22,140.08 miles / 379.05 gallons = 58.4 mpg 3/29/04
That's remarkably good. Are those Imperial gallons, or US gallons? What is your economy in l/100km?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bill60546 said:
Does anyone know if the use of synthetic oil with a change rate of 25,000 miles is compatible...? Comments and recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
Rather synthetic to dare with a limiting distance to mark off a term
Reckon the likes in Gregorian tempo how knowing mechanics affirm
Shearing or shavings from wearing some mileage are phantoms thy worries define
Acids and water condensing each hour pollute most what Barons refine

Priapus driver

·
Registered
16 Posts
__How do you do that without spilling oil?
I use exchange service of the oil of a car-accessories store.
I am sorry. It is not me myself.

__Are those Imperial gallons, or US gallons?
It is US gallons.

__What is your economy in l/100km?
It is 4.02L/100Km lifetime average.
My highest record is 3.098L/100km.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts