Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2005 Prius about 1.5 months ago. I love the car. But it seems that when I first turn it on and drive a short distance after the gas engine has started and then turns off I can feel it. It is like a bit of a slight shudder in the engine. Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Without having a technical explaination to back me up, I find that the car usually only shudders upon ICE shutdown when the vehicle is just warming up or hasn't been running very long. As soon as it has run a while I find that ICE shutdown is a lot smoother, but it is always noticeable

·
Registered
669 Posts
jeromep said:
Without having a technical explaination to back me up, I find that the car usually only shudders upon ICE shutdown when the vehicle is just warming up or hasn't been running very long. As soon as it has run a while I find that ICE shutdown is a lot smoother, but it is always noticeable
I've noticed this also... particularly the first in-operation shutdown after starting up in the morning. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It's just cold. The engine shuts down much more smoothly after break-in and when the engine's warmer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've noticed the same thing when the ICE is cold (isn't ice suppose to be cold??:) ) I notice this at the first red light I reach. The motor is running, and then kind of "jumps" around in what seems like an attempt to shut down. Sometimes I can feel it "jerking" around like it wants to shut down, and then smooths out as if it decided it would rather be running.

Once the ICE is warmed up, this does not seem to be a problem.

I agree though; a light indicating the ICE is running is way too important. Coastal Dave has been teasing us for way to long with his "teaser" page showing the device! :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts