Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new 06 Prius yesterday with package #6 (no DVD GPS). Although I live in the US, I would like to switch the tempearture displays from Farenheit to Celsius degrees. It is simple to switch miles to kilometers, but I can't figure out how to change the unit of measure for the temperature. Does anybody know how to do that?

Fred

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you probably have to do it the old fashioned way.

Begin by subtracting 32 from the Fahrenheit number.
Divide the answer by 9.
Then multiply that answer by 5.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, I don't kow how your brain works, but mine isn't able to do those calculations in real time while driving :wink:

I am looking for a change in the default settings, I hope they just flip a switch at the factory for non US destined cars!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
From what most of us can tell, Prii are localized for the market they are sold in. There doesn't seem to be a "switch", software or hardware which will magically move the car from one locality to another. Some would think that a metric/english switch on the dash would be standard, but there is only a mi/km switch that affects the speedometer only.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I would suspect one of the settings in the diagnostic screens might change it, but I wouldn't fiddle with those unless I knew for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, when I decide to move to another country and take my Prius with me, a Toyota technician could reprogram the car for that country? Are there any Toyota technicians in the forums who could answer this question?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't know if the 2006 version changed anything, but the 2004 repair manual didn't document much about the diagnostic screen, other than the AVC DTCs. I suspect some of those settings are to configure the car for certain markets. If a tech could find the information, he'd probably have to get it from Toyota Tech Support HQ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any news on the Farenheit to Celsius settings?

Fred, I noticed the thread you started and am interested in exactly the same issue. However, I also noticed that you didn't get any practical advice for how to switch the readout in your Prius. Have you found out how since then?

Cheers,
~ Alex&er
(2006 Prius w/package 6)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far I had no success in getting any kind of information about the feasibility of the idea. I am still hopeful though that someone knows how to do this.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
For 2004/2005 (might have changed for 2006), you can get to a 2nd set of diagnostic screens by pressing INFO and flashing your taillights 3 times after getting to the first set of diagnostic screens. Careful with those settings though.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
DanMan32 said:
For 2004/2005 (might have changed for 2006), you can get to a 2nd set of diagnostic screens by pressing INFO and flashing your taillights 3 times after getting to the first set of diagnostic screens. Careful with those settings though.
Flashing your taillights can get you arrested in some states. :wink:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I contacted Toyota, when I bought my 2001, to see if there would be any kind of conversion ability like the MPH to K/h push-button to send the temperature from *F to *C, and also if there was going to be a quick conversion from Miles to KMs on the fly witha push of a button... in any of the newer generation productions for sale in the US... Never got an answer back but from knowing it wasn't done, I'd say I was answered that way I guess...

I figure it wouldn't be that difficult if they already have the exchange coded for the speedometer. It would be cool if it would also have the option to change the weather, odometer, trip meter, trip mpg, etc...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Why would anyone want to switch? Say it's 32F out and you switch to C... well that's 0.... 32 degrees COLDER!

On the other hand, maybe if we all switched at the same time, it would eliminate global warming. :idea: :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Metric conversion

mrv said:
Canadian Classics have cruise control and DRLs standard (only an option for US 2002-2003, not available on US 2001). Colors for certain model years are different between countries. The odometer is in km in Canada, miles in US. The MFD displays in km, C, and l/km in Canada - in the US it is miles, F, and MPG.

(I wanted to buy my 2001 in Canada because you guys had the Brilliant Blue Pearl in 2001, but I settled for a US Aqua Ice Opalescent because I didn't want to deal with the import paperwork...)
-edited by moderator mrv to correct attributes

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
edit: deleted post as it is no longer aplicable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you be more specific?

DanMan32 said:
DanMan - how risky is this?

What I'd love to see are some specific instructions - a step-by-step procedure like what's available for how to disable the back-up beeper. Could you (or anyone else) tell me what steps to take in order to actually make the switch from *F to *C once on the 2nd set of diagnostic screens? (Fortunately or unfortunately, I think about temperature on the centigrade scale and Fahrenheit numbers don't say much to me.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
melgish said:
Why would anyone want to switch? Say it's 32F out and you switch to C... well that's 0.... 32 degrees COLDER!

On the other hand, maybe if we all switched at the same time, it would eliminate global warming. :idea: :D
Say that you had grown up in a country that used C and km instead of F and miles. Say that you lived in the US for a while, loved your Prius and wanted to take it with you wherever you went in the world. Those could be reasons to want the computer to display the "right" units :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Re: Can you be more specific?

AlexanderL said:
DanMan32 said:
DanMan - how risky is this?

What I'd love to see are some specific instructions - a step-by-step procedure like what's available for how to disable the back-up beeper. Could you (or anyone else) tell me what steps to take in order to actually make the switch from *F to *C once on the 2nd set of diagnostic screens? (Fortunately or unfortunately, I think about temperature on the centigrade scale and Fahrenheit numbers don't say much to me.)
That's just it. There are no instructions on changing it. But there are settings on the second diagnostic screen that elude to changing the market and thus its behavior. Its kind of like when you tell Windows the region you are in, and that changes the currency and such. The problem is, the Toyota doesn't provide documentation of the second diagnostic screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Elusive setting

Okay - thanks for the elusion :wink: Sounds like attempting to change the thermometer readout setting is more risky than it's worth. Without specific instructions, I think I'm just going to have to let this sleeping dog lie. :?

Unless, of course, someone else knows how ... 8)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts