Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated for a few hours about whether to post this. I didn't want to be on the receiving end of flames defending SUV owners. So here's my disclaimer: This is about the mentality of an individual person who happens to own an SUV and his view of the world in general and hybrids in particular.

So I dropped my son at the dentist and went to park. The only available spot was rather tight, between a Mercedes SUV behind and some other SUV in front. I managed to get in the space, but in inching backwards my rear bumper kissed the front of the Mercedes. Really, I was going maybe half a mile/hour at most. Just barely touched it, no marks at all on either car. So I got out of the car and out of nowhere this guy and a woman appeared, and he started telling me I crashed into the front of his car. Now, you have to understand that I am not good at confrontation or assertiveness in general. Some inane conversation took place with me trying to dispel his notion that I "crashed into" his car. Then:
"This is a $50,000 car!" he said.
"Oh, I'm so impressed," I said, rolling my eyes and walking away.
"But then you're saving the environment," dripping with sarcasm.
What I should have said was "You could slow global warming if you'd shut your mouth." What I did unfortunately resort to, since I don't think on my feet that well: "F*** off." And I walked into the building. Of course, I was shaking when I got inside. That's probably the 2nd time in my life I've said that to someone's face.

On this board and particularly on Yahoo, which I don't read much anymore, there are just tons of stories of obnoxious drivers who seem to resent hybrids. There's a recent thread here about Wall Street Journal letters bashing Prii. It's about world views and self images all around. Just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Susan

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't sweat it....you can vent here anytime you want. I don't think anyone would mind.

I am assuming that they did not "further" the conversation after the international goodby verbage? :lol:

P.S. I would have kept an eye on my car out the lobby window until they left however..... :shock:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm about as short tempered and take no crap as anyone, but in this case I guess I just would've said "I'm really sorry about that, it was a tight spot and I just barely hit you. Let's take a close look and I'll be glad to cover any damage."

You accept responsibility
You agree to take care of it
You don't escalate the arguement

If the guy wants to be an ass after that at least it's him doing it. If you take a defensive stance from the start that's going to really set him off.

Think about this just the other way around...he was parking and "kissed" your Prius. Wouldn't you be anxious...wouldn't you run out ticked that this 'SUV jerk' bumped your Prius? I would...I'd be mad as hell. Just b/c he has the bigger car doesn't change his point of view about you hitting him.

I just think you should have demured in this situation.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Evan,

Normally, I'd certainly agree with you. Yes, I'd be pretty exercised if someone kissed my precious Prius while parking. But I also would not come out at the person with guns blazing, accusing them of crashing into me when it was clearly a little bump with no damage at all. In fact, I've been on the other side a number of times. I walk over, take a look, see nothing's wrong, and say, have a nice day. Had there been damage today, I'd have owned up to it and made the necessary arrangements. I've been there, too. I'm one of the few people I know who have actually left a note with name and number for dinging a door.

Clearly this guy was picking a fight over nothing from the getgo and I wasn't going to let him intimidate me.

Susan

·
Registered
344 Posts
the fact that the guy mentioned the price of his car irritates me. who f$%^ing cares? paint is paint, and it's not like there was any damage anyway.

i hate people like that. try to intimidate me with your vehicle price and see where it gets you. my fist doesn't care what your car costs, buddy. and if you want to intimidate, at least make sure it's something impressive. tell me it's worth 200, then i might be somewhat more concerned. might.

okay i'm only that aggressive in my mind but still. it's the principle. argh.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a similar experience a long time ago. Waiting in line to pay a parking attendant my foot eased up a little on the brake while I was digging out my wallet. No damage to either car. The guy in front of me acted like I was an ax murderer. He pent ten minutes trying to find a scratch in the bumper of his sporty little car. He ended his tirade by telling me "It better not happen again."

I put this under the heading "Do you own your car, or does it own you." I like to keep my car nice, but let's have some perspective.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I did the "kiss" at a traffic light once. Took foot off brake when the light changed, and rolled into guy in beater in front of me. No damage to either car (not that anyone could tell if there was damage to the beater). The guy, and every low life in the car with him, claimed to be injured. Wasn't very happy, though, when I said we'd better get the police here to write a report. Police took 20 mins of ringing to even answer 911 call, and then another hour plus to get the three blocks from the roundhouse (what they call the police station in the city) to where we were. Of course, guy and all his coterie refused medical treatment. Never heard from any of it again. Mutter mutter mutter...

Enough to make one think impure thoughts.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Usually when you encounter people who become verbal you can if able, observe a well worn spot on their horn buttons. Fortunately this type of incident is becoming rare with all the stories of people pulling out guns.
You never know who you might encounter on todays streets, and wize a's"'*s eventually get "theirs."
My guess however is that he didn't even recognize your car as a hybrid, just the vehicle that had bumped his.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:(

·
Registered
508 Posts
And speaking of Hail Marys and Our Fathers...

I recently "kissed", well, really whacked the rear of a Volvo a few months ago. I was pulling out of a parking lot near an intersection, and the car ahead of me stopped suddenly rather than run a yellow light. Regardless, it was technically my fault, because I was the whacker, rather than the whackee.

After much cursing, I got out of my car, wondering what damage I had done to his AND my car. My first words to him were, "I'm SO sorry!" He ran his hand along his rear bumper, was apparently satisfied there was no significant damage, then said, "It's the holiday - we'll let it go." My response was, "Uh... OK. You sure? Thanks!"

Driving away, I finally remembered it was Yom Kippur that day, and my rather prominent Sicilian schnoz must have been mistaken for a Semitically descended one. So, I got an accident mulligan from a Jewish gentlemen who thought I was one as well.

Hope I don't have any bad religious karma coming for that one. I wonder if I should convert.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Susan5s said:
I debated for a few hours about whether to post this. I didn't want to be on the receiving end of flames defending SUV owners. So here's my disclaimer: This is about the mentality of an individual person who happens to own an SUV and his view of the world in general and hybrids in particular.

So I dropped my son at the dentist and went to park. The only available spot was rather tight, between a Mercedes SUV behind and some other SUV in front. I managed to get in the space, but in inching backwards my rear bumper kissed the front of the Mercedes. Really, I was going maybe half a mile/hour at most. Just barely touched it, no marks at all on either car. So I got out of the car and out of nowhere this guy and a woman appeared, and he started telling me I crashed into the front of his car. Now, you have to understand that I am not good at confrontation or assertiveness in general. Some inane conversation took place with me trying to dispel his notion that I "crashed into" his car. Then:
"This is a $50,000 car!" he said.
"Oh, I'm so impressed," I said, rolling my eyes and walking away.
"But then you're saving the environment," dripping with sarcasm.
What I should have said was "You could slow global warming if you'd shut your mouth." What I did unfortunately resort to, since I don't think on my feet that well: "F*** off." And I walked into the building. Of course, I was shaking when I got inside. That's probably the 2nd time in my life I've said that to someone's face.

On this board and particularly on Yahoo, which I don't read much anymore, there are just tons of stories of obnoxious drivers who seem to resent hybrids. There's a recent thread here about Wall Street Journal letters bashing Prii. It's about world views and self images all around. Just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Susan
Susan,

Reading your post, it seems to me that you probably resent SUV drivers at least as much as you perceive this particular SUV driver to resent you and your Prius. I could be wrong... but that is how it looks from my seat.

/Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am guilty of owning a $65K Navigator ( I've included the price just for the Hell of it) and a Prius pkg 7! Where does this put me? Since getting our Prius I believe I have become a better SUV driver, both in terms of seeing the "little" cars and trying to squeeze better mpg out of the land yacht.

I also have been a banger and a bangee and have found people adopting the aggressive Offense is better approach. No-one wants dings and dents regardless of car price, but your response was okay in this situation. However, discretion is always the better part of valor around here as we live just outside Detroit and even some little old ladies carry guns. I am 6'4" weigh 250 and a former Detroit cop and I play puppy every time this happens. Watch out for the little guys with young wives, they're the worst!

Ed

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I once rear-ended a mustang accidentally. he got a scratch on his bumper, and I got my front pushed in a bit. He must have misunderstood my comment about being glad I took the most damage as wanting to get away with it. He said "What! It's a new car!" It wasn't. It was a few years old, but admittedly, in great shape. I of course paid to have his bumper repainted. Also paid to get my now beater ini decent but not necessarily factory shape.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here is my story, called "Gotcha": I was parked in the Library lot...which has a clearly marked one way in & one way out driveway. I slowly backed out of my space, when suddenly a lady presented her Honda behind me, causing a minor dent on her wheel well rim (her car was in sad shape) and a tiny scratch on P* bumper.

She got out of her car with pleasant aggression with a "what are you going to give me to make this problem of yours go away" attitude.

"how about I point out to you that you were going the wrong way on a one way driveway?" She quickly double checked the signs, and then went into "well it doesnt look like any real damage" mode. I let it go...I love libraries.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
An04Prius said:
Here is my story, called "Gotcha": I was parked in the Library lot...which has a clearly marked one way in & one way out driveway. I slowly backed out of my space, when suddenly a lady presented her Honda behind me, causing a minor dent on her wheel well rim (her car was in sad shape) and a tiny scratch on P* bumper.

She got out of her car with pleasant aggression with a "what are you going to give me to make this problem of yours go away" attitude.

"how about I point out to you that you were going the wrong way on a one way driveway?" She quickly double checked the signs, and then went into "well it doesnt look like any real damage" mode. I let it go...I love libraries.
That's one for the books. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts