Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll admit... I'm REALLY suspicious of the several recent news stories I've seen that are hybrid-negative - especially with regards to the Prius. Methinks someone somewhere is nervous that things are going so well, and has started trying to stir the pot to sway people away from going hybrid... Anyone else notice the negative slant to hybrid car news lately? Anyone else wonder why all the sudden surge in negativity??

OK, maybe its being 9 months pregnant that is making me crabby... but I love my Prius, and hate to hear anyone badmouth her...

;-)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
They're all runnin scared! HAH!! We've gottem JUST where we want em!

How's THAT, guzzlerboy!!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I've been pounded lately with comments and questions about those reports of 'stalling'. It isn't stalling if you can still drive for a mile or two people!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Hasn't a TSB already been issued for some 2004 model year vehicles regarding "stalling"? I've read so many posts where somebody has a stall, gets the car running again within a few minutes, gets it into a dealer, dealer pulls codes and then does TSB recommended software update and the problem is solved?

If that is the case, this is a moot point. Problem solved, the 13 vehicles reported should be reported to a dealer and the software update applied instead of reported to NHTSA. Problem solved.

If not... well I await info from others in the group.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
jeromep said:
Hasn't a TSB already been issued for som3 2004 model year vehicles regarding this? I've read so many posts where somebody has a stall, gets the car running again within a few minutes, gets it into a dealer, dealer pulls codes and then does TSB recommended software update and the problem is solved?

If that is the case, this is a moot point. Problem solved, the 13 vehicles reported should be reported to a dealer and the software update applied. Problem solved.

If not... well I await info from others in the group.
Seems so to me as well. But the arguement put forth is that the problem is of such risk to the public safety that no only should the update be a TSB done if there is a problem reported, but that there should be a general recall and all Prius before such and such a date should have to go in to have it performed.

I guess that makes some sense, but it depends upon how much of a true safety issue it is determined that it is. To me, it isn't much of one, no more so than running out of gas, throwing a belt, breaking a tie rod, getting a flat tire, or any of a multitude of other problems that can occur. The ICE shuts off...the car keeps moving, slowing down as the car coasts to a stop. No loss of control for the driver. Sure, it could annoy people behind you, but if they are at a reasonable following distance there should be no safety risk.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I believe most of the reports is based on issues addressed by those TSBs. Still, I might conceed that they probably should issue a campaign on this, and I don't understand why Toyota needs to investigate when a TSB has already been issued. Maybe they are investigating whether the issue is more common than they thought and if they need to escalate it to campaign level.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:eek:

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are complaints about BMW 540iA ('97 to '02) V8 with sudden breakage of radiators. Based on survey at one BMW forum, a very high percentage of owners experienced it on highway (I did). This would happen between 50K to 90K miles of ownership. The necks of the radiators that connect to the hoses snapped suddenly with coolant vapor covering your windshield AT HIGHWAY SPEED! I am not kidding because it happened to me while I was in the middle lane of 3 at high speed.

My point is that BMW has issued no TSBs, no recalls, nothing. They called it normal wear and tear. NHTSA has done nothing either. It make you wonder how MHTSA decide to take on one case instead of the other. Politically motivated?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Volvo too

Owners of '99-01 Volvo models have been having problems with Electronic Throttle Module failures...the module starts flaking out sometimes before warranty expires, and a TSB suggests cleaning the throttle bore. Well, that doesn't really fix the problem and later (usually after the warranty expires) the module craps out completely, leaving owner with a $1k plus repair.

NHTSA claims it's not a safety issue (though going from freeway speed to 25 MPH "limp home" mode could certainly be one), and while Volvo has provided goodwill dollars to some who have complained loud enough they have not started any sort of campaign to fix it.

I bring this up not only because of the recall/TSB issue but also because our beloved Priuses also are equipped with Electronic Throttle controls...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
While I was getting my oil changed at the dealer yesterday, I chatted with the lady at the parts counter. I asked her if there were any isses with the "stalling" scare. She didn't have much access to that, but thought she heard of one issue, but it was found she ran out of gas.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi everyone. I haven't posted here in quite some time, but thought I'd chime in on this thread. I purchased my Prius in Oct. '04. I had a few instances early on where warning lights would go on when I tried to start the car. The dealer was very helpful and treated me graciously each time I came in. I had the wiring harness, fuel tank and every other applicable TSB performed as soon as they were issued. I never had another problem until about six months ago, when my ICE stalled out on me as I was driving on the freeway. It was a bit scary, but I was thankful for the batteries, which provided enough power for me to safely navigate my way to the shoulder. I'd read a couple of reports here about other people's cars stalling and was disconcerted that this had happened to mine. However, having gone through the warning light issues earlier, I had faith that if I waited a few minutes and tried to restart my car all would be fine. I did, it was, and I drove it home that night and to the dealership the next morning without incident. When I told the service manager what happened he said they had just received a TSB for that scenario and that they could have it fixed in a day or two. They did and I've been driving my car since without incident. Yes, having a car stall on you is unfortunate. Having experienced the much-hyped Prius engine failure myself, I can say that it was the least dramatic freeway automobile malfunction I've ever faced.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: what about>>>

rmarchena said:
What about the incoviniences beyond that...?
well in a conventional vehicle you're in for a whole lot more inconveniences if your ICE dies....

for example, you may come to a screeching halt from whatever speed you're going (depending on which vehicle it is)... and when a conventional ice dies like that chances are it (or at least part of it) will need replacing... not just a software flash

i'd say in any situation the Pri is definitely more convenient.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had timing belt broke in my car while I was a student in UT Austin. You lost the power steering, power brake in a second. Both became so heavy and barely manageable for most men. It was very scary and I can imagine some would panic in that sort of situations. In the case of Prius, at least, you still have the electric motor to help you out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
:wink:

·
Registered
344 Posts
people are suspicious of "software updates" and typically aren't happy unless something's replaced. they can't see what's been changed and don't believe it was actually done. i think that is part of the problem in this.

a timing belt is certainly a bigger pain in the butt to replace than a fan belt... and more expensive. and the timing CHAIN (in some cars a chain is used instead of a belt) can cause severe damage to engine parts (as evidenced by my husband's experience with a 94 saturn)

in the Pri not only do you have the electric motor to get you safely off the road, but you also have a backup power supply for brakes in case of total vehicle power failure. i think there are more safety features on our Prii than on other cars...

·
Registered
397 Posts
hyperion said:
Sounds like you did exactly all the right things. I'm surprised to hear the problem took several days to rectify. The ECM TSB that my car was returned for took less than two hours.
Now that you have it back are you still waiting for it to fail again?
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. They kept the car for a couple of days because I had them deal with the infamous rattle under the dash (fixed!) and replace the pump that moves coolant between the radiator and thermos. (Mine had developed a noticably louder whine than when new.)
I've been driving it for months since the TSB was completed and I don't worry about the car failing.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts