Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have recommendations for a windshield sunshade for an '04 model. I like the dual ring type that you can twist down to a small size but all the one's I've looked at so far are too small for the '04 windshield.

·
Registered
65 Posts
JPeterman said:
Does anyone have recommendations for a windshield sunshade for an '04 model. I like the dual ring type that you can twist down to a small size but all the one's I've looked at so far are too small for the '04 windshield.
Check out this link:

http://www.canvasworks.com/main.html

I've got one and it works great. It rolls up, but not that compact. They custom make they for each car, and it fits perfectly.

Peter
Miami, FL

·
Registered
217 Posts
JPeterman said:
I have one purchased at Walmart.

It is a squarish, twist and fold that fits perfectly.

Walmart has these in two sizes and it's the larger size that works for the Prius.

Don't remember the cost. Got it last October when I took delivery of my Prius.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you don't want to spend 40 bucks, you can buy two sets of the wire loop folding sunscreens and use the ones from each set that have the elastic loop on them. Here's how you use them:
1. drop your sunvisors a tad, just enough to slip the elastic loop over.
2. position the shade on the dash; rotate it slightly so that one corner touches, and rests on, the big post at the outside edge of the windshield, one corner sits on the dash above the speedo readout, and one corner is aimed at the center of the glass. (sunscreens for larger cars may not need to be rotated in order to be positioned without falling into the car)
3. run the elastic loop over the top of the rear view mirror and loop it over the slightly lowered sunvisor. This will hold the screens up against the windshield.
4. Do the same thing on the other side. Overlap them where they meet.
5. The two other screens, the ones without loops, can be used to shade the side windows or perhaps the rear deck if you get creative and figure out how to position them.

I used two sets of "compact car" sunscreens; the ones designed for larger cars would probably cover more of the windshield. You will need two pairs, though, in any case. At eight bucks a pair, that's only 16 bucks and they fold up and fit into the pockets behind the front seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I really like the hoop design better than the fold and/or roll up designs. You can twist down the hoops to the point that they easily fit between the seat and the center console on most cars.

Anybody have a hoop style sunshade for their 04 cars yet? You need them here in Arizona!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have a double-hoop-style one that I bought at WallyWorld (Walmart). Mine is in two pieces, and was dirt-cheap at under $6.00. But I've decided that I personally prefer the "accordian-and-velcro" type, similar to this:

http://www.shadetreeonline.com/theshade/theshade.htm

The plastic mounting pieces have adhedsive, and attach to the inside of the windshield next to the A-pillars. They hide away nicely, and don't obstruct your vision when driving. Cleaning is easy. With the brand I had, I could remove the shades for cleaning the windshield or the shades themselves.

Because they normally stay attached to the windshield, you won't have to contend with finding a backseat or passenger-floor place to put them while driving, nor will you risk damaging or misplacing them when people get in or out, or when you're cleaning the car.

I had something like this on my Miata, and will probably get something similar for my Prius.

<edit: The one I had for my Miata was not necessarily the same brand as in the link above. Mine were store-bought at an "Ice Cold Air" shop here in Orlando back in 1998>

·
Registered
110 Posts
BIF said:
I have a double-hoop-style one that I bought at WallyWorld (Walmart). Mine is in two pieces, and was dirt-cheap at under $6.00. But I've decided that I personally prefer the "accordian-and-velcro" type, similar to this:

The plastic mounting pieces have adhedsive, and attach to the inside of the windshield next to the A-pillars. They hide away nicely, and don't obstruct your vision when driving. Cleaning is easy. With the brand I had, I could remove the shades for cleaning the windshield or the shades themselves.

Because they normally stay attached to the windshield, you won't have to contend with finding a backseat or passenger-floor place to put them while driving, nor will you risk damaging or misplacing them when people get in or out, or when you're cleaning the car.

I had something like this on my Miata, and will probably get something similar for my Prius.

<edit: The one I had for my Miata was not necessarily the same brand as in the link above. Mine were store-bought at an "Ice Cold Air" shop here in Orlando back in 1998>
This is probably NOT a good idea if you have the side curtain airbags as there is explicit warning in the manual against putting anything on the windshield post or next to the windows.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
That's a very good point, Bob. Thanks for the heads-up. I will need to find out more info about how (and in what directions) the curtain airbags deploy.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Bob Allen said:
BIF said:

This is probably NOT a good idea if you have the side curtain airbags as there is explicit warning in the manual against putting anything on the windshield post or next to the windows.
Oh GOD, it got hot here yesterday (over 105 hellish degrees in the shade before the evening thunderstorm)! I called my dealer's service department to ask them about the deployment path of the curtain airbags. I really want to get this retractable sunshield for my Prius.

They're going to get somebody to check the service manual. I'm awaiting a callback, and I'll let y'all know what I learn.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That's nothing! I spend a summer (plus 2 winters) in Seville, Spain, and it gets up to 120 F. But I never drove a car there. I could walk anywhere I needed to go, and on the rare occasions I needed a car, I took a taxi. (And I stayed indoors when it was over 110.)

On another subject, I got the sun shield from Canvasworks. It's well made. Neither very easy, nor terribly hard, to install. The ends want to curl back up. Took me a minute or so to get it in place. It was not a terribly hot day, but the car was still very hot when I got back in. It covers the windshield, but there's still plenty of exposed glass, including the horizontal rear window. I'm sure it would have been worse without it. But I feel sorry for you folks living farther south. I've been envying you these last 6 months. Now it's your turn to envy me.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Okay, well my "twisty-double-hoop-style" sunshade stopped working about two weeks ago. It won't twist down to a compact package any longer. The metal wires must have malfunctioned, and now they're all bent out of shape. :x

So I bought an Axim (I think) folding-style sunshade that said it would fit Prius '02 and later. Well, it doesn't fit. It's too short, and leaves too much room at the top and/or bottom of the windshield. Plus, it's too wide, and won't lay reasonably flat against the glass, thereby reducing its effectiveness at repelling heat out of the car. :evil:

I'm really getting frustrated. I want my self-retracting sunshade, dammit! :x My dealer has not yet gotten back to me with information about the exact deployment path of the curtain airbags. Bad dealer! :x

Does anybody here have this information?

Specifically, here's what I need to know:

1) How far forward does the curtain airbag deploy? I need a precice measurement, let's say from the front edge of the headliner, or from the firewall-side (farthest-forward part) of the dashboard.

2) How far "inboard" does the side-rail trim move during deployment of the curtain airbag, specifically that part of the side rail trim that runs alongside of the windshield?

I'm not fussy; I'll take the measurements in inches, centimeters, millimeters, US nickel-diameters, farthings, or furlongs. I just need to know so that I can place my order and install these things properly so as to not interfere with the curtain airbag deployment!

I'm getting frustrated and desperate here! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
623 Posts
A follow-up on my previous post. We've had a couple of hot days (miraculously seasonal weather for a change!) so I've used the Canvasworks sunshield a few more times.

Not surprisingly, it just depends on the direction of the sun. If the car is facing the sun, so that most of the sunlight enters through the windshield, then the sun shield works great, and it is significantly cooler in the car. But if the sun is hitting the car from the side, there's not much the sun shiend can do. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Overall, I'm glad I got it, but I've never used another kind, so I cannot compare. I cannot imagine why I never had one for my old car.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I like the Canvasworks design, except that it has to be removed from the windshield and stored someplace in the car while driving. Yuck. I want my sunshield to stay mounted to the windshield (but safely retracted) during driving, so that it's out of the way of myself and my passengers.

I called "Shadetree" (from that link I posted earlier), because they're here in Orlando. Left a message. Will wait for a response. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those retractable sunshades look like a nice idea, but I how difficult is it to reach over to the front of the passenger side dash to pull it across when you are sitting on the driver's side?

Also, with the Homelink/dimming rearview mirror attached to the windshield (don't know if the "plain" mirror is attached that way or not), how would you cover the top 3-or-so inches?

BIF, if you do get one, please let us know what size and how it fits.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yep. When using my Canvasworks screen I park east of a tree so the afternoon shade will hit me (and not any tree droppings).

I wonder about our northern hemisphere brethren and sistren who buy a front windshield screen, and then park facing *north* :_>

·
Registered
15 Posts
sunshade

We were able to find the Super Jumbo size - the "twisty-double-hoop-style" - I think also Axim brand - at Checker. Key is to get the Super Jumbo size for the '04. Does a nice job covering the entire windshield 8)
Also had to tint the windows - which is a necessity out here in AZ! Went as dark as legally allowed on the tint & it looks great too.
Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've found the "super jumbo" style too large, and the "jumbo" too small. As far as I can tell, nobody makes a hoop style that will fit.

I also find the connected double hoop style much easier to install than the separate double hoop style. The connected style has a more rounded hoop design which fits around rear view mirrors more easily.

I'll keep looking...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts