Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've seen the 2 pink bars while sitting for several minutes in park with AC on, in a 90+ degree day. Eventually the ICE comes on to charge the battery, so I learned not to worry. The first time was a bit unnerving though, and I was tempted to turn off the AC.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
evander said:
I've seen the 2 pink bars while sitting for several minutes in park with AC on, in a 90+ degree day. Eventually the ICE comes on to charge the battery, so I learned not to worry. The first time was a bit unnerving though, and I was tempted to turn off the AC.
I've gotten down to 1 or 2 bars in the Honda just commuting home. Haven't seen it that far on the Prius yet.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
This needs to be stated for the good of the order.

All battery bars full and green, the battery is at or possibly a little above 80% charge. Anytime the battery display is green the vehicle is going to use that battery power in any way it can to assist the vehicle and improve FE. The system's logic is designed to prevent the battery from becoming overcharged, so the cap is 80% of total battery capacity.

Battery display nearly empty, bars are red; the battery is nearing the lower charge point which is 40% of total capacity. If you are in the red I can guarantee that the ICE is running to provide power to recharge the battery.

The battery's sweet spot seems to be around 60% charge, the car works hard to keep it there, allowing the vehicle to use power below this point to the lower limit and to take charge above this point to store energy for future use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how do you know all this

jeromep said:
This needs to be stated for the good of the order.

There's so much really excellent stuff on the Prius on the web, but
is there an authoratative Toyota reference on the vehicle? Where does
one get it? I have
had my '06 for about a week and am learning. So cool, but the owners
manual is lacking in details. I'd like to more about exactly what the colors mean on all the energy displays, not just the battery.
e.g orange vs yellow
Thanks,
Penn

·
Registered
199 Posts
Owning a Prius is a learning experience. After 5 months I am still learning about my car. This is one time that you really need to use the manual, all of them if you have Nav, etc.
PriusChat and PriusOnline are also excellant resources as Toyota and some of your dealership may not want you to do certain things to the car. Folks here are pretty smart and brave.
Seek and yee shall find....

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, the color codes of the lines you'd be hard pressed to find from Toyota. They aren't really into describing the details of the car to that level. I've been trying to find such 'authoritive' information on things like the usable SOC range of the battery, and the power/RPM specifications of BOTH MGs, not just the one. What they do have is scattered all over the place. Some on the US site, some on the Japan site, some in the New Car Features, some in the repair manual.

Red: mechanical power
Yellow: consuming electrical power
Green: storing electrical power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.