Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for my Prius (like so many) and periodically stop by the dealership to drive their demo version and check out new things I have read about.
So I'm in an empty parking lot trying out turning radius, handling, etc. I stop and turn the car off, get out, and sit in the backseat, move the seats around, play with the headrests, etc.

Get back in the car and start it up, reset radio, play with AC controls etc. Go to leave and the car WILL NOT go into "D" gear. Will go into "N" but not "D."

Turn off car, turn car back on same thing. I realize I left my cell phone in my truck back at the dealership. Feeling really stupid. Afraid somebody will ask me if I am alright, or police will show up. decide to turn car off and wait 10 minutes...maybe tehre ius a computer issue. Thoughts of having to pay for damage go thru my brain.

Finally I root around in glove box and find a "Quickstart Guide", and realize that I must have foot on break when I first try and power up the car.

True Homer Simpson moment. Just so you guys with your cars realize some of us have to wait and learn gradually......

·
Registered
397 Posts
Saruman said:
I am waiting for my Prius (like so many) and periodically stop by the dealership to drive their demo version and check out new things I have read about.
So I'm in an empty parking lot trying out turning radius, handling, etc. I stop and turn the car off, get out, and sit in the backseat, move the seats around, play with the headrests, etc.

Get back in the car and start it up, reset radio, play with AC controls etc. Go to leave and the car WILL NOT go into "D" gear. Will go into "N" but not "D."

Turn off car, turn car back on same thing. I realize I left my cell phone in my truck back at the dealership. Feeling really stupid. Afraid somebody will ask me if I am alright, or police will show up. decide to turn car off and wait 10 minutes...maybe tehre ius a computer issue. Thoughts of having to pay for damage go thru my brain.

Finally I root around in glove box and find a "Quickstart Guide", and realize that I must have foot on break when I first try and power up the car.

True Homer Simpson moment. Just so you guys with your cars realize some of us have to wait and learn gradually......
Hey, don't feel bad. I've been driving mine for months and still experience the occasional, What the--??!! It's all part of what makes owning a Prius so much fun. Bet you were relieved when it finally agreed to start up!
Drive happy,
Moo :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Saruman:

___Dont feel bad at all I drive 5 different vehicles every week and I dont know how many times I have done that exact same thing plus started out with the parking brake on for my automobiles that need those engaged, and forgot to turn on the lights on those that are nor automatic as I was driving down the drive, etc. I am getting into the habit of taking about 15 seconds to reorient myself with each car as I sit in them so it doesnt happen on a continual basis ;) You should see me when I approach the gas station and I am trying to remember which side of the car I am supposed to fill each one up from :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:eek:627e16u][email protected][/email:eek:627e16u]

·
Registered
397 Posts
xcel said:
You should see me when I approach the gas station and I am trying to remember which side of the car I am supposed to fill each one up from :D
Recently it was pointed out to me that new vehicles have little arrows somewhere on or near the fuel gauge indicating which side of the car should go next to the pumps. I don't know if this is true for every car, but it's true of every car I've been driving since learning this little tip.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
And don't forget...

Besides the foot on the brake thing, make sure your pong/fob/thinger is near enough to the dashboard to register (we didn't know until the day we picked it up that it doesn't actually have to be in the slot to start the car).

It's mostly confusing because you can still power up, start the nav, the clock comes on, etc., but the car won't start. In our case, we had the fob in a pants pocket...apparently just far enough away to keep it from registering to the Prius...but throw it in the cup holder, the passenger seat, or the slot and it starts up no problem.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Moocatdog:

___The only automobile I own with the arrow is the Corolla so the rest are a crap shoot sometimes ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:32oovncz][email protected][/email:32oovncz]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Saruman said:

One time I got a call from my wife that her car (1980 Corona) would not start. I drove to where she was, tried to start the car and nothing happened. I looked down and notice it was in drive. Put in park and it started right up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel better now. I was sooooo sure some pack of high school girls would wander by (it was a high school parking lot) and see me sitting there helpless with all this technology. Or having to call the dealer only to be told it was something stupidly simple... which it was.

I did notice on the demo car that the yellow alert like stayed on... What do all the lights mean?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts