Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, for reasons that you really wouldn't care about, I left the Prius home and took my wife's Camry to work. At the end of the day, I walked out to the car, grabbed the door handle and it wouldn't open! I pulled again, puzzled. Then, sheepishly, glanced over each shoulder, reached in my pocket, took out the key and unlocked the door. Stupid car. :oops:

·
Registered
319 Posts
My car may have some smarts, but it forgets to open for me occasionally. That strip inside the doorhandle needs to be less picky about how sweaty my hands are (or aren't...)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikepaul said:
My car may have some smarts, but it forgets to open for me occasionally. That strip inside the doorhandle needs to be less picky about how sweaty my hands are (or aren't...)
You should try it with mittens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm ok with having to use a key fob or key to open the doors on the rental cars when I travel. My problem is I never remeber to put the car in to park when I shut it off. After I try unsuccessfully to remove the keys, it generally dawns on me that I have to manually put the car in park. Primitive.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I was in North Carolina visiting, I had to move my brother in law's
old Ford Exploder. I got in, turned the key and Check engine came on.
I yelled at brother in law and he came to my rescue, got in, turned the key and the car started. Did the car know I was a Prius driver?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Heh. Glad I'm not the only one. My wife's Beetle is incredibly uncooperative when it comes to magically unlocking for me.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My other car (a 1999 Hyundai Accent) has a large round 'defogger' button in approximately the same location (relatively,) as the Prius' 'POWER' button. From time to time, I get in the Accent, sit down, buckle up, put my foot on the brake, and hit 'DEFOG', expecting the car to turn on.

It hasn't yet turned on that way.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I avoided all of those problems by selling my inferior vehicles when I bought my Prius.

So far, it has turned out to be an excellent plan. :)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
BIF said:
I avoided all of those problems by selling my inferior vehicles when I bought my Prius.

So far, it has turned out to be an excellent plan. :)
Sorry, my wife needs a car, too. And we couldn't/can't afford two Priuses (yet.)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hep said:
Yesterday, for reasons that you really wouldn't care about, I left the Prius home and took my wife's Camry to work. At the end of the day, I walked out to the car, grabbed the door handle and it wouldn't open! I pulled again, puzzled. Then, sheepishly, glanced over each shoulder, reached in my pocket, took out the key and unlocked the door. Stupid car. :oops:
Maybe with regular, non-SKS, cars we should refer to the keying system as the DKS--Dumb Key Systems.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Remote Keyless Entry System works just fine lol

Hmm, funny thing is. Whenever I drive my dad's Camry, I remember to put my hands in my pocket, and press the unlock button on the fob to unlock the car. No SKS mishaps there. The problems lies where for whatever reason, it doesn't register to my brain to also take out the key when I'm pressing the unlock button. So here I go, getting into the car then realising I gotta fish the key out of my pocket after I buckled my seatbelt. :oops: My friend found it funny.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Old habits do die hard. I only ever had manual shift cars before my Prius, so for the first 2000 miles I kept grabbing my water bottle and stamping on the floor with my left foot. It never failed to be disconcerting when the water bottle didn't notch into gear. :lol:

Susan
28500 miles
04 BC Silver
49.4 this tank

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Susan5s said:
Old habits do die hard. I only ever had manual shift cars before my Prius, so for the first 2000 miles I kept grabbing my water bottle and stamping on the floor with my left foot. It never failed to be disconcerting when the water bottle didn't notch into gear. :lol:
HAHA!! I'd forgotten about that! I did the same thing. (Still do fiddle with the water/pop bottle when I think I should be shifting, but now it's just kind of a 'habit' more than an actual attempt to get the car to shift.)

·
Registered
393 Posts
My other car, is a SCION xA, mostly basic. As in, no keyless entry.

So, not only do I have to start the car, with a key, just to get in, I have to put the key in the lock! Oh, and it gets better. On the way out, I have to push the lock button on the door, to lock all the doors.

:wink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
One of my friends got a Prius recently and got use to the SKS so quickly that digging out his house keys became enough incentive to clean out his garage. Now he just used the garage door remote and he is keyless again. His wife had been trying to get the garage cleaned out for years! They both love the Prius!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
For the first month or so after we got our Prius, when I'd park the car, I would hit the power button to power down, then grope on the right side of the steering column for the keys. :oops:
Now after I park at home, I get out and go the the door of the house and grab the handle, then remember I need to use the dumn key to get in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've only had the li'l darling a week now, but I can already tell that
if I ever drive a stick shift again, and the engine dies at a stop, I'll
blithly expect it to automatically start again when I need to move.

Carol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts